The U.S. Department of State Visa Bulletin September 2016 shows advancement for EB-2 India, EB-3 India and EB-3 Philippines in the Application Final Action Dates chart. EB-2 and EB-3 priority dates remained stagnant for China.
No changes were seen in the Dates for Filing Applications chart for the employment based visa preference categories.
USCIS is yet to announce which chart may be used in September 2016 for filing applications for Adjustment of Status with USCIS. Unless USCIS indicates otherwise, applicants seeking to file for adjustment of status must follow the dates in the Application Final Action Dates chart to determine when they could file their adjustment of status applications.
September 2016 Visa Bulletin Highlights
The following are the key highlights in the Application Final Action Dates chart of September 2016 Visa Bulletin:
- Priority date for EB-1 China and EB-1 India remained stagnant at January 1, 2010. EB-1 Priority Workers Category remains Current for all countries.
- Priority date for EB-2 China remained stagnant at January 1, 2010.
- In the EB-2 Category for India, the cut-off date advanced from November 15, 2004 to February 22, 2005.
- The EB-2 Category remained stagnant at February 1, 2014 for all countries other than India and China.
- In the EB-3 Professionals and Skilled Workers Category, priority date for mainland China remained stagnant at January 1, 2010.
- Priority date for EB-3 India advanced from November 8, 2004 to February 15, 2005.
- The priority date for mainland China under the EB-3 Other Workers Category remained stagnant at January 1, 2004.
- EB-3 Philippines advanced from May 15, 2009 to July 1, 2010.
- In the EB-3 category, priority date advanced from March 15, 2016 to May 1, 2016 for all countries other than India, China, and Philippines.
- Priority date for EB-5 China remained stagnant at February 15, 2014.
About Visa Bulletin
The Department of State (DOS) publishes two separate charts for the employment based and family based visa preference categories every month:
- Chart 1 – Application Final Action Dates; and
- Chart 2 – Dates for Filing Applications
The “Application Final Action Dates” chart prescribes the dates when visas can be issued to immigrant visa applicants. Immigrant visas will be authorized for issuance only for applicants whose priority date is on or before the cut-off dated listed in the “Application Final Action Dates” chart.
The “Dates for Filing Applications” chart prescribes the earliest dates that applicants may be able to apply for an immigrant visa. Applicants whose priority date is on or before the date listed in the “Dates for Filing Applications” chart will be eligible to assemble and submit the required documents to the National Visa Center (NVC).
USCIS will, each month, post the relevant DOS Visa Bulletin chart that applicants can use to determine when to file their Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Applicants whose priority date is on or before the date on the chart posted by USCIS may file their Adjustment of Status application. As reported above, USCIS is yet to announce which chart may be used in September 2016 for filing applications for Adjustment of Status with USCIS.
Green Card applicants who have a priority date earlier than the cut-off date listed in the relevant Visa Bulletin charts are eligible to apply for Adjustment of Status or an immigrant visa.
Check out the latest visa bulletin for a complete listing of the current cut-off dates and availability of immigrant visa numbers.
Schedule a FREE Case Evaluation with our experienced immigration attorneys if you have any questions about your eligibility for filing an Adjustment of Status or an immigrant visa application.