Call Us Today: 202-787-1944


Immigration News
Changes in immigration that impact your life.

Home  >  Immigration News  >  News Archive  >  Department of Labor  >  News Article

News Jump: 


DOL Announces Updated Model Notices and Educational Material on Extension of COBRA Subsidy
ARTICLE TOOLS
Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts

The U.S. Department of Labor released updated model notice packages to enable group health plans and employers to provide notice on the availability of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act continuation coverage premium reductions under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act through March 31.

The Temporary Extension Act amended the Recovery Act's COBRA premium reduction provisions by extending the eligibility period through March 2010 and modifying the definition of assistance-eligible individuals to include individuals who were involuntarily terminated after first losing health coverage related to having their hours of work reduced. The subsidy allows individuals to pay only 35 percent of their COBRA premiums; the remaining 65 percent is reimbursed to the employer through a tax credit.

"With the passage of the Temporary Extension Act, millions of Americans and their families will be able to keep important health benefit coverage during these challenging economic times. The new eligibility criteria make it possible for many more to qualify for continuation health coverage," said Phyllis C. Borzi, assistant secretary of the Labor Department's Employee Benefits Security Administration.

The department updated two of its existing models and developed several new models to cover various situations faced by dislocated workers and their families. They are:

  • An updated model general notice.
  • A model new election period notice.
  • A model extended election period notice.
  • A model supplemental information notice.
  • An updated model alternative notice.


ARTICLE TOOLS
Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts



MORE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR STORIES:
OFLC Updates Prevailing Wage Data
DOL Issues Final Rule Delaying 2011 H-2B Wage Rule
H-2B Wage Methodology Interim Final Rule Published
DOL announces H-2A and H-2B Electronic Filing Implementation
More >>

TOP STORIES:
USCIS October 2016 Visa Bulletin Update
Visa Bulletin October 2016: EB-2 and EB-3 Priority Dates Advance For All Countries
USCIS September 2016 Visa Bulletin Update
Change In Filing Address For Certain H-1B and H-1B1 Petitions
More >>

News Jump: 

U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!

IMMIGRATION CENTER
Immigration Services
  Fast, Easy and Economical Avoid Costly Immigration Errors!
Immigration Guide
 Know Your U.S. Immigration Options
Immigration Law FAQ
 Detailed Answers to Your Immigration Questions
Immigration Articles
  Interesting and Useful Articles on a Variety of Relevant Topics

How can we help you?
MESSAGE BOARDS
How do I fill Form I-129?
When do I start Green Card?

Discuss US Immigration
NEWSLETTER - FREE!
Receive latest immigration updates and free legal tips by e-mail. Sign up now!
IMMIGRATION DICTIONARY
Legal terms explained in plain English!
RELATED ARTICLES
H1B Address Change of Work Locations: When Do You Have To File H1B Amended Petitions?
H1B Visa Lottery 2016: Improving Your Odds of Success
H1B Visa Cap 2016: Things You Must Know
Filing H1B Cap 2017 Petitions:How To Get A Head Start With VisaPro’s H1B Visa 2017 Timeline
H1B Cap Exempt Employers: How Do You Find Out If You Qualify?
H-1B Cap Has Reached:How Do You Hire H-1B Cap Exempt Candidates?
2017 H1B Cap Petitions:How To Properly File With USCIS
H1B Cap Exempt – Are You Eligible?
5 Common H1B Cap 2017 Filing Mistakes - How to Avoid Them
H1B Cap 2017 Filing Secrets: Why You Should Plan Now?
More Articles...

CONSULT ATTORNEY
Get a detailed, written opinion online in less than 3 business days from a licensed immigration attorney.
Experienced Immigration Attorneys - Consult Online or By Telephone

YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS
Alerts & Newsletter
Create and Manage your
e-mail alerts for FREE.
RSS