Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration Newsletters
Latest immigration news delivered to your inbox.

Home  >  Newsletter  >  August 2005

Monthly US Immigration Updates from VisaPro VisaPro US Immigration Services
VisaPro Immigration Services Home Download INS Forms Immigration Message Boards - Share, Discuss & Debate USCIS (INS) Processing Times Tips and Procedures About Specific Visas US Immigration Law FAQ
August 2005
Print US Immigration Newsletter Subscribe to Immigration Newsletter Email this Newsletter to a friend

US Immigration Newsletter - From the Editor's Desk

Yes! We are here. Today we initiate another association with you… another way to keep in touch… Immigration Monitor. It is not just another newsletter. It is a relationship; the commencement of a new journey to provide you with the latest happenings of the month and a plethora of information related to global immigration.

This year is half-way through, and the last six months have seen a lot of activity on the immigration front. For U.S. employers, the new year brought some relief from H-1B Cap issues, in the form of 20,000 additional visas, exempted from the annual cap. Though this was a welcome step, it came at a cost. The Appropriations Act, 2004 made H-1B and L-1 filings more expensive.

Another major activity was the signing of the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act, including the controversial REAL ID Act. We cover the major highlights of the Appropriations Act in our In Focus section.

We at the Immigration Monitor look forward to your comments, suggestions, and most of all your encouragement. Please send us your feedback on this first issue of Immigration Monitor, including your valuable suggestions.

I look forward to a wonderful journey in your company.

Changes in Immigration that impact your life

It is official now; USCIS reaches H-1B Cap for FY 2006

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced today that it has received enough H-1B petitions to meet the congressionally mandated cap for fiscal year 2006. USCIS has determined that the “final receipt date” is August 10, 2005.

Senators Cornyn and Kyl introduce Immigration Reform bill

The bill contains provisions for border enforcement and security, worksite enforcement, temporary worker program and visa backlog reduction, among other things.

E-3 visa update: DOL issues guidance for filing of LCA

The U.S. Department of Labor published a notice in the Federal Register earlier this month providing initial guidance governing the filing of applications for labor certification under the E-3 work visa program.

DOS Cable on nonimmigrant interviews

The new section 222(h) added to the Immigration and Nationality Act by the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act (IRTPA) sets out requirements for the non-immigrant interview and the circumstances in which it can be waived.

Read More News

USA Immigration - In Focus

New provisions under Emergency Appropriations Act

The Appropriations Bill containing supplemental appropriations for Defense, the Global War on Terror and Tsunami relief became a public law when the President George W. Bush signed the Bill on May 11, 2005. With the signing of this bill the controversial Real ID Act provisions also become effective.

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

News this Month
In Focus
Industry Perspective
Immigration Article
Processing Times
Immigration Glossary
Discussion Corner
Immigration FAQ
Success Stories

Download this Newsletter in PDF Format


Should the annual H-1B cap limit be raised from the existing 65,000 visas?
a. Yes
b. No
Cast Your Vote
View Results

Win a FREE Online Consultation!

Submit your answer to the query below. The best response will be published in the next Immigration Monitor and the winner will receive a FREE Online Consultation from an Experienced VisaPro Immigration Attorney.
I hold a 10 year US tourist visa. I want to do a summer course in the US. I don't want to lose my visitor visa status as it is difficult to get it back in India. I want to know if it is okay to study on my tourist visa. I want to know if it is possible and safe to do so.


US Immigration - Industry Perspective

Tight H-1B & L-1 visa rules hurt U.S. business, say companies

Tight visa rules and their impact on the U.S. economy and business is a subject that never fails to spark controversy. The recent changes to the H-1B and L-1 visas rules have been a flashpoint of debate in the Tech Industry.

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

Useful Articles On a Variety of Immigration Topics

How to avoid a visa denial?

To be refused a visa when you are not expecting it causes great disappointment and sometimes embarrassment. What does a 214(b) visa refusal mean? And what can applicants and friends do to prepare for a visa reapplication?

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

US Immigration - USCIS (INS) Processing Times

Visa Bulletin USCIS Processing Times
DOL Processing Times Local USCIS Offices

Accompanying Relative

Foreign nationals who are eligible to receive a nonimmigrant visa or a green cards may also obtain a nonimmigrant visa or Green Card for their immediate family members. Accompanying relatives may only include spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 who will be traveling with the foreign national.

Advance Parole

Advance Parole is permission for certain aliens, who do not have a valid immigrant visa, to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad. Such aliens must be approved for Advance Parole before leaving the United States. If they have not obtained Advance Parole prior to traveling abroad, they will not be permitted to re-enter the United States upon their return.

Affidavit of Support (I-864)

If you are bringing a relative to live permanently in the United States, you must accept legal responsibility for financially supporting this family member. You accept this responsibility and become your relative's sponsor by completing and signing a document called an Affidavit of Support. This legally enforceable responsibility lasts until your relative becomes a U.S. citizen or can be credited with 40 quarters of work (usually 10 years.)

More Terms

H1b Approved - Needed Help for Stamping
By lokesh (Junior Member)

creative solution for J1 change to H2-B ...please help
By Lukas (Junior Member)

help ! how do i forfeit a fiance visa I -129f
By mariz0322 (Junior Member)

More Discussions

1. What is H-4 dependent visa?

The H-4 dependent visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows the dependent spouse and children of principal H visa holders to enter into the U.S.
2. What privileges do I enjoy on H4 visa?

On H-4 visa, you may:

Enter into the U.S. along with your spouse or join him/her later

Not have to maintain a foreign residence

Travel in and out of the U.S. or remain in the U.S. continuously as long as you are in the status

Study in any U.S. university
3. How long can I stay in the U.S. on H4 visa?

Your H-4 status depends on the status of the principal H visa status. You lose your status once the H loses status.

More FAQ

VisaPro Customers' Immigration Experiences

"I am thrilled at the level of service I received from VisaPro!

Their attention to detail, their quick responses to questions, and the personal attention they gave each one of our visa applicants was overwhelming.

VisaPro help take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required. They helped us with documentation and made sure that it was consistent with our application. They took the time to make sure everything was right, yet was able to make the deadlines and time restrictions the INS imposed upon us.

I cannot say enough about the friendly staff and lawyers who never hesitated to be there for us. They basically held our hand through the whole process.

We had tried to do visa applications ourselves. The value of VisaPro and the time they saved us was well worth the cost.

We will be using VisaPro for all our staffing needs when obtaining a visa is required."

Susan Reichard, HR Manager
Monona Catering

More Stories

Send Your Feedback
Send in your suggestions on topics that you want us to cover and Tell us what you think about us.
Email to a Friend
Share this Newsletter with your Friends.
Report Immigration News
Do you have any interesting immigration-related news to report? We will give a FREE Online Consultation to whoever provides us with the best news story of the month. Send your story.

To SUBSCRIBE to this FREE Newsletter, visit:

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, visit:

If you have any difficulties unsubscribing, please send an email.

VisaPro respects your privacy. To learn more, read our Privacy Policy.

"Immigration Monitor" is published monthly for users and clients of Our goal is to help keep you informed of the trends and events related to US Immigration.