Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration Newsletters
Latest immigration news delivered to your inbox.

Home  >  Newsletter  >  August 2006

VisaPro Immigration Services Home Download INS Forms Immigration Message Boards - Share, Discuss & Debate USCIS (INS) Processing Times Tips and Procedures About Specific Visas US Immigration Law FAQ
August 2006
Print US Immigration Newsletter Subscribe to Immigration Newsletter Email this Newsletter to a friend

US Immigration Newsletter - From the Editor's Desk

Immigration Monitor celebrates its first anniversary this month. I distinctly remember the initial days of planning when our team spent many sleepless nights discussing the many features that would make our newsletter different… more personal and interesting. The longest sessions were when we had to finalize the name. I can't help but smile when I recollect the various names we came up with… Immigration Letterbox, Immigration Express… even Immigration Train!

We wanted to make this Anniversary edition special. Thanks to our Graphics Designing Team, Immigration Monitor has a new look this time… we really have good reason to celebrate our success… and its all because of you. Do you know how many people received Immigration Monitor last month? Are you wondering what happens to the feedback we receive from you all? How have we grown during the past few months? All these and more of your questions are answered in this month's In Focus article.

We are receiving a lot of encouraging feedback on our initiative to write about visa processing at various consulates. We have been receiving a lot of emails from our readers requesting us to research and write about visa processing at the consulates in their home country. This month's Immigration Article takes you across the border to Canada for information on K-1 visa processing at the U.S. consulate in Vancouver. Keep your suggestions flowing in so that we continue to provide you with all the information you would need to file your visa application.

Congratulations to Anna Mekhed for winning last month's Immigration Quiz and receiving a FREE online consultation with VisaPro attorney. I would also like to make a special mention of the responses posted by Arthur Olszanski, Ganesh Srinivasaniyer and Melany Tellez. We had to resort to a draw of lots to select the winner this time as a lot of participants gave excellent responses. Do you want to see your name in the next issue of Immigration Monitor? This month will be the best time for you as the winner of this month’s Immigration Quiz will receive a SURPRISE GIFT in addition to the regular FREE online consultation. Visit to do your research and email your responses quickly.

Now that you have been reading your Immigration Monitor for a year, which sections do you like the most? Is it the Immigration News section that provides you with updates on the major happenings during the month or is it the Questions and Answers section that provides responses to your queries? Do you look forward to read what I write in From the Editor's Desk section every month or is it the Success Stories section that you are most interested in? This month's Your Opinion section is a bit different. We ask you to tell us which section you like the most. It is your chance to give us the ratings… and don't forget, you can always share your feedback on how to improve your Immigration Monitor.

The past one year has been an eventful one for us. We need to make the next one even more interesting. In the pipeline are a bunch of new services and various interactive features on our website. Next month you will see the launch of a service that will be unique to VisaPro. I am sure you will be excited when I say that you will be able to assess your visa options for working in the U.S., and determine your eligibility for those visas. VisaPro's experienced attorneys will also provide you with a detailed written assessment of your specific situation. The wait is almost over… so keep a close watch on our website.

We are also looking forward to conduct a series of seminars and interactive workshops in India and the U.K. in October. More information on our upcoming events will be published on our website very shortly and I will update you on everything in the next issue of Immigration Monitor. See you next month with all this and much more.

Premium Processing available for certain EB-3 petitions

Starting August 28, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will begin accepting Premium Processing requests for EB-3 Professionals, (i.e. immigrant workers with bachelor degrees who are members of the professions), and EB-3 Skilled Workers, (i.e. immigrant workers capable of performing skilled labor requiring at least two years of education, training or experience).

U.S. Embassy, Athens to process visas for Lebanese Citizens

Embassy at Athens has been temporarily designated to process Immigrant Visas for Lebanese nationals, while Embassy Beirut has ceased all visa processing for the duration of the current crisis.

USCIS issues a Guidance Memo on IMBRA

USCIS issued a guidance memo for field officers regarding the amendments made by the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA) to sections 214(d) and 214(r) of the INA.

USCIS reminds of EAD filing changes

USCIS has notified applicants that effective September 1, 2006, all EAD applications filed with local offices will be forwarded to Service Centers for processing. As of April 1, 2005, USCIS required EAD applications to be filed at one of the four USCIS Service Centers or the National Benefits Center, however, some local offices continued to accept the applications at their discretion.

Read More News

USA Immigration - In Focus

Immigration Monitor – A Success Story!

It was exactly one year ago when our newsletter made its humble beginning in the immigration world as a unique medium to build relationships with our esteemed readers. In this article we analyze how Immigration Monitor has grown over the past one year and created a special place in our reader’s hearts, touching their lives every month.

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

Useful Articles On a Variety of Immigration Topics

K-1 visa processing at U.S. consulate in Vancouver, Canada

In this article, we discuss the consular processing of fiancée visa in the U.S. Consulate at Vancouver, Canada. The Consulate in Vancouver processes fiancé (e) cases for citizens of Canada, or aliens who are permanent residents. Individuals in Canada on student and/or employment authorization are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

Latest News
In Focus
Immigration Article
Processing Times
Discussion Corner
Questions and Answers
Success Stories

Download this Newsletter in PDF Format.



Which of the following sections of the Immigration Monitor do you find the most interesting?

a. From the Editor’s Desk
b. Immigration and In Focus Articles
c. Questions and Answers
d. Immigration News
e. Success Stories
Cast Your Vote
View Results

Win a FREE Online Consultation!

Submit your answer to the query below. The best response will be published in the next Immigration Monitor and the winner will receive a FREE Online Consultation from an Experienced VisaPro Immigration Attorney during the month of September 2006.
I hold a 5-year multiple-entry B-2 visa which is expiring in October 2006. I need to travel to the U.S. in September 2006 and will need to stay for 5 months. Should I get a new visa because my old one will expire in two months or can I use the current one to visit the U.S.? Will I be allowed to stay only till October if I use my old visa?
Submit Your Answer

Winner of the Immigration Quiz - July 2006:
Anna Mekhed
The Question:
I have an H-1B visa and my wife has an H-4 dependent visa. She recently gave birth to a son, who now becomes a U.S. citizen by birth. Does that mean that we are eligible to apply for a Green Card as the Immediate Relative of a U.S. Citizen and can we file for Adjustment of Status?
The Winning Response:
Having a child born in the US, unfortunately does not automatically allow you to file for a green card as the immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. Your US son can only file a petition for you after he turns 21 years of age and is able to show proof that he can provide for you and your wife financially. In your case, since you are an H-1B visa holder, you can have your employer file an application for permanent labor certification on your behalf, which will allow you to get a permanent residency status.
Anna Mekhed receives a FREE Online Consultation from an Experienced VisaPro Immigration Attorney during the month of August 2006.

JOBS @ VisaPro
Job Type: W-2 or 1099
Location: Work from anywhere in the U.S. No need to relocate.
Immigration Attorney
Senior Paralegal

US Immigration - USCIS (INS) Processing Times

Visa Bulletin
USCIS Processing Times
Local USCIS Offices

F2 to H1B
By mssusmi

Wedding Album for Marriage Interview
By Olga

i need help@affidavit of support
By nanash

More Discussions

What is the definition of ‘professional worker’ and a ‘skilled worker’ for EB-3 Employment based immigrant visa?

To be eligible as a Professional you must be a qualified foreign national holding at least a U.S. baccalaureate degree or a foreign equivalent degree and be a member of the professions.

To be eligible as a Skilled worker, you must be a foreign national capable of performing skilled labor which:

  • Requires at least two years of training or experience

  • Is not of a temporary or seasonal nature

  • Does not have appropriately qualified workers available in the U.S.
Relevant post-secondary education may be considered as training for the purposes of this provision.

If you have a short, simple query on immigration to the U.S., send your questions to us. We will select and answer a few of the queries in every issue.

Note: Responses posted in this section provide only general information. Since immigration law is a complex matter, please consult an immigration attorney before acting upon any responses provided.
Ask Your Question

My fiancée just entered the U.S. on a K-1 visa. Can she work in the U.S. before we marry?

The USCIS may grant permission for your fiancée to take up employment in the U.S. before the marriage takes place. To obtain Employment Authorization your fiancée will need to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with the USCIS Service Center which covers your fiancée's place of residence in the U.S. after your fiancée's arrival there.

More Q&A

VisaPro Customers' Immigration Experiences

VisaPro is a wonderful company that offers immigration services on line. Immigration forms can be confusing and if not done correctly along with the proper documentation the delay can be many months and possibly years. VisaPro has an easy on line system to use and [the VisaPro legal team] was always just a phone call away to help with some of the issues that came up with my fiancee's K-1 visa. My fiancee now has her visa and will be coming to join me in September and we will use VisaPro for the rest of the immigration process. I would recommend VisaPro to anyone who wants to make sure their immigration is done correctly. Thanks VisaPro and a big thanks to [the VisaPro legal team]. [The VisaPro legal team] is the greatest !

Robert Bergmann,
Yulee, Florida

More Stories

Send Your Feedback
Send in your suggestions on topics that you want us to cover and Tell us what you think about us.
Email to a Friend
Share this Newsletter with your Friends.
Report Immigration News
Do you have any interesting immigration-related news to report? We will give a FREE Online Consultation to whoever provides us with the best news story of the month. Send your story.

To SUBSCRIBE to this FREE Newsletter, visit:

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, visit:

If you have any difficulties unsubscribing, please send an email.

VisaPro respects your privacy. To learn more, read our Privacy Policy.

"Immigration Monitor" is published monthly for users and clients of Our goal is to help keep you informed of the trends and events related to US Immigration.
Copyright © 2006 - All rights reserved.