Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration Newsletters
Latest immigration news delivered to your inbox.

Home  >  Newsletter  >  December 2006

VisaPro Immigration Services Home Download INS Forms Immigration Message Boards - Share, Discuss & Debate USCIS (INS) Processing Times Tips and Procedures About Specific Visas US Immigration Law FAQ
December 2006
Print US Immigration Newsletter Subscribe to Immigration Newsletter Email this Newsletter to a friend

US Immigration Newsletter - From the Editor's Desk

The Congress adjourned earlier this month without undertaking any measures on comprehensive immigration reform. Nothing concrete was expected though out of the lame-duck session and all eyes are on Fiscal Year 2007.

With the festive mood setting in, you all must be gearing up for all the Christmas and New Year shopping! At VisaPro, we are busy planning new projects that we are looking forward to undertake in order to live up to your expectations! VisaPro
witnessed a lot of new & exciting happenings in 2006, starting from the launch of country-specific websites like, specifically for our patrons in India, our special anniversary edition in August, the overwhelming response during our immigration events:
seminars and workshops in five cities in India to the addition of an array of new services into the
bouquet of services we already offer. Last month, I informed you about our foray into the world of U.K. Immigration. The launch of our new U.K. website will undoubtedly be a one-stop immigration point for all users from Europe looking for services related to not only U.S. Immigration but also immigration to other

Earlier this month, VisaPro saw the launch of Visa Assessment, a unique service that enables you to explore your Visa Options to enter the U.S. on a work visa and check your eligibility to qualify for an appropriate visa category. The added advantage here
would be a written assessment from a VisaPro attorney. I can vouch for the fact that this is a “one-of-its-kind” service which provides a graphical analysis of your chances to qualify for a U.S. visa. So, what are you waiting for? Do let us know if you are unable to find your profession in the list. I look forward to receiving your feedback on our new venture!

For nationals of treaty countries, we have launched “Full Service” packages for E-1 and E-2 visas. Our
“Full Service” packages absolve you the hassles involved in incorporating a new office in the U.S., looking for an appropriate physical office space, and then filing your visa application. On the lines of our L-1 Full Service package, our E-1 Full Service and E-2 Full Service packages will release you from the procedural formalities of establishing a new office and help you concentrate on planning the business and client development in the U.S.

I received emails from our dedicated readers appreciating the excerpt from our attorney's experiences during his visit to Delhi in connection with our immigration events in India. This month's IN FOCUS section will yet again cover his experiences in Pune. Don't miss his amusing ride to the airport! In the forthcoming weeks, you will continue to have a detailed insight into our attorney's rendezvous with India-various experiences in 5 different cities, from the capital Delhi to the royal city of Hyderabad.

This month’s Immigration Article brings to you the aspiration for better lives that makes people come to the US. At VisaPro, we help you analyze your scenario and suggest relevant visa options. The Immigration Article is from a writer who presents an idea on how some people have seen their dreams come to reality by making the right choices.

Congratulations to Kim Balmer for winning last month's Immigration Quiz . Kim receives a FREE online consultation with a VisaPro attorney. Put on your thinking caps for your responses to this month's question. Also, keep watching the
Immigration News of our website for the latest updates on the Congress action, as and when it happens.

On behalf of the entire VisaPro team, I wish you Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year! Enjoy your holidays!

Don't forget to view the special greeting card, just for you from all of us at VisaPro. If you liked this month's newsletter design, kudos to our entire Graphics Design team at VisaPro for making it more
o l o r f u l for the holidays! Don't forget to add our address to the list of your contacts so that you remain abreast with our upcoming services, new websites bringing you the latest in the Immigration world!

See you in the next edition in the next year with a lot more!

DOS update on Green Card Lottery registrations

The U.S. Department of State announced that over 6.4 million entries for the 2008 Diversity Visa Lottery were received during the two-month electronic registration period, from October 4, 2006, through December 3, 2006.

USCIS reaches H-2B cap for first half of fiscal year 2007
USCIS has announced that it has received a sufficient number of petitions to reach the congressionally mandated H-2B cap for the first six months of Fiscal Year 2007.

USCIS naturalization test redesign

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is revising the naturalization test to create a test and testing process that is standardized, fair and meaningful in order to maintain consistency between offices.

Read More News

USA Immigration - In Focus

A Rendezvous with India: Immigration Seminar in Pune

Bringing to you the second article from our attorney's diary on our recent seminars and workshops in various cities in India. This article contains exciting anecdotes from his travel experiences and stay in Pune.

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

Latest News
In Focus
Industry Perspective
Processing Times
Discussion Corner
Questions and Answers
Success Stories

Download this Newsletter in PDF Format.



If the annual quota for the H-1B is increased will it be a

a. Boon to the US employers
b. Lack of opportunities for US citizens
c. Both
Cast Your Vote
View Results

Win a FREE Online Consultation!

Submit your answer to the query below. The best response will be published in the next Immigration Monitor and the winner will receive a FREE Online Consultation from an Experienced VisaPro Immigration Attorney during the month of
January 2007.

I am currently working with a company on L-1A visa. I am planning to apply for Green Card, but my employer is not willing to sponsor for my Green card. Do I have to apply by myself? If I find an employer who is ready to sponsor my Green Card, should I work for them right away? I have a two year contract with my current employer.

Submit Your Answer

Winner of the Immigration Quiz - November 2006:

Kim Balmer

The Question:
I am Chinese citizen working with a Chinese company as a Sales Executive since past three months. I hold a 3-year bachelor's degree in commerce from a Chinese University . My company wants me to work as Business Development Executive for the U.S. office. I am confused whether I can use an L-1 or H-1B visa. Do I qualify for both? Which one is the better option?
The Winning Response:
To qualify for an L-1 visa, you should have worked with the Chinese company at least for1 year in the last three years. Hence, I think L-1 is not an option for you.

For an H-1B visa, you need to have a four year bachelor's degree or the equivalent in work experience. You need to have three years of work experience for each year of missing university education. If you have any prior experience other than the 3 months with the current employer, you may qualify for H-1B. In addition to that, H-1B is subject to annual cap. The cap for FY 2007 is already reached. So, your employer can petition a new H-1B for you only in April, 2007 and you can start work on H-1B in October, 2007.
Kim Balmer receives a FREE Online Consultation from an Experienced VisaPro Immigration Attorney during the month of December 2006.

JOBS @ VisaPro
Job Type: W-2 or 1099
Location: Work from anywhere in the U.S. No need to relocate.
Immigration Attorney
Senior Paralegal

Raj becomes a successful consultant in the USA

Raj is a database architect whose services are in great demand. Raj is currently employed by a small consulting firm in the United States where he works under a work visa on projects that client companies all over the US outsource to his employer. Raj's work is so well respected by the project managers at client companies that many of them specifically ask that the consulting firm assign Raj to work on their projects.

Read Full Article  |  Read More Articles

US Immigration - USCIS (INS) Processing Times

Visa Bulletin
USCIS Processing Times
Local USCIS Offices

Could K1 Prevent Tourist Marriage?
By mondriandroid

Applying for EB1/Outstanding Professor while the LC is pending

By marie

After Consular Processing - Stay in US-India
By forUSVisa

More Discussions

Hi I am married to a US citizen for the last 3 yrs and had entered US on a K-1. But I married my fiancé after 6 months of entering US. Can my spouse still apply for a green card?

Since you entered the US legally (even though you have overstayed), and you are married to a US citizen, you can file for adjustment of status in the US and complete the green card process here (in fact because you have been out of status for over a year you cannot leave the US until you get your green card without becoming subject to the 10 year bar). You will be scheduled for an interview, at which time, assuming your file is complete, you will be granted your permanent residence status. Since you have been married for longer than 2 years you will be granted an 'unrestricted' green card (persons married less than 2 years at the time the green card is granted are give conditional residence status for 2 years and must remove the conditions at the end of the 2 years).

If you have a short, simple query on immigration to the U.S., send your questions to us. We will select and answer a few of the queries in every issue.

Note: Responses posted in this section provide only general information. Since immigration law is a complex matter, please consult an immigration attorney before acting upon any responses provided.
Ask Your Question
I am on visa waiver, can I exchange my visa category in J-1? Thanks I will wait your reply.

To stay in the US on a J-1 visa, you have to go through one of the J-1 sponsoring agencies. Each agency has their own rules for program participation. Once you find a potential employer, you would then have to check with the various agencies to determine if they would sponsor you for that employer. The J-1 sponsor would then issue you a form DS-2019 so that you could get the visa. The J-1 training/internship visa is generally good for up to 18 months. Unfortunately, since you entered the US on the visa waiver, you would not be able to change status here in the US. You would have to return to Italy and get the visa before you could enter the US and start working.

More Q&A

VisaPro Customers' Immigration Experiences

"Hi [VisaPro legal team] and happy holidays to you and your staff. I just wanted you to know that Visa Pro filed an adjustment of status for my wife's K-1 visa on November 7 and yesterday, December 22 she got her green card in the mail. Very fast and we are going to have the best Christmas ever thanks to your organization. We will contact you again in a year and a half or so to file for the removal of conditions. It just doesnt get any better than this."

Thanks again

Robert and Aiesa Bergmann,
United States

More Stories

Send Your Feedback
Send in your suggestions on topics that you want us to cover and Tell us what you think about us.
Email to a Friend
Share this Newsletter with your Friends.
Report Immigration News
Do you have any interesting immigration-related news to report? We will give a FREE Online Consultation to whoever provides us with the best news story of the month. Send your story.

To SUBSCRIBE to this FREE Newsletter, visit:

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, visit:

If you have any difficulties unsubscribing, please send an email.

VisaPro respects your privacy. To learn more, read our Privacy Policy.

"Immigration Monitor" is published monthly for users and clients of Our goal is to help keep you informed of the trends and events related to US Immigration.
Copyright © 2006 - All rights reserved.