11. What are the documents required to apply for J-2 visa?
The documents required for J-2 visa are:
- If outside the U.S. Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application.
- If inside the U.S. Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant status.
- Check or money order made payable to the USCIS for the filing fee, or receipt from bank for fees paid for consulate.
- Photocopy of USCIS Form I-94 (front and back) of applicant, (dependent) if in the U.S.
- Photocopy of current Form DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility
- Cover letter
- Photocopy of complete in passport (clear copy of passport and/or visa photo required)
- Passport style photo with a white background taken no earlier than 30 days before submission to the USCIS
12. What are the specifications for the photograph to be submitted along with my J2 visa application?
The photographs to be submitted with the J2 visa application should be:
- Unmounted, printed on thin paper, glossy and unretouched
- Showing full face, with no glasses. Your head should be bare unless you are wearing a headdress as required by a religious order to which you belong
- Not larger than 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches, with the distance from the top of the head to just below the chin about 1 1/4 inches
- Having your name lightly printed on the back of each photograph with a pencil
13. What should I communicate through the cover letter for J-2 visa work authorization?
The cover letter addressed USCIS should be brief and clearly state that the money earned by you will be used to support yourself and not be used to support the J-1 student or scholar.
14. What is the processing time for J-2 visa?
While processing time will vary according to case load, The J-2 visa is generally issued within 30 days from the day the application is made.
15. What are the additional processing requirements for J-2 visa applicant?
A J-2 visa applicant who is not submitting the new DS-160 is required to complete:
- Form DS-158, Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant. The form must be completed by all applicants, even babies and children. If a section on the USCIS Form DS-158 does not apply to you, you may enter N/A
- Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and USCIS Form DS-157, Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application
Note: Applications received without a completed USCIS Form DS-158 will be returned to the applicant which will considerably delay the visa processing.