1. What is K-1 fiancee visa?
The K-1 fiancee visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows the fiance or fiancée of a U.S. citizen to enter into the U.S. and get married to the U.S. citizen.
2. Who is eligible for K1 visa?
As a fiance or fiancee of a U.S. citizen you are eligible if you are:
- Legally eligible to marry under the law of both the nations
- Planning to getting married within 90 days of your entering the U.S.
- Entering the U.S. solely for the purpose of marriage
3. What are the limitations of K1 visa?
On K-1 visa, you may not:
- Change to any other nonimmigrant status while you are in the U.S.
- Use K-1 visa to enter the U.S. if you have been temporarily barred from entering into the U.S. for previous violation of U.S. immigration law
4. How long can I stay in the U.S. on K-1 visa?
- A K-1 visa is issued with a validity of 6 months. You have to enter the U.S. before the expiry date shown on your K-1 visa
- After your arrival in the U.S., you have 90 days to get married or you must return to your home country. There is no legal way to extend the 90 day limit
- Once the marriage has taken place in the U.S., you must apply to adjust to permanent resident status. Note that you would first generally obtain a two-year conditional residency and would have to file additional paperwork later for the conditions to be lifted
5. What are the K-1 fiance visa processing times?
The K-1 fiance visa processing times vary with each individual’s circumstances. Under normal circumstances, it takes 3 to 5 months at the USCIS plus 2 to 3 months at the Consulates to process the visa.