11. Who is eligible for Extension of Stay on J-1 visa?
You are eligible to extend your stay on J-1 visa if you:
- Are studying full-time at the school mentioned on your Form DS-2019 and making satisfactory academic progress and have adequate funding
- The length of the delay was reasonable
- Have completed your program of study and wish to participate in an Academic Training Program
- Are participating in an authorized Academic Training program and, within the established time limits, need an extension to finish the program
12. How do I apply for Extension of Stay on J-1 visa?
To extend your stay in the U.S. on J-1 visa, you must first obtain a new Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status, from your J-1 Responsible Officer, who will need proof of your eligibility before issuing the Form.
13. How do my dependants on J-2 status apply for Extension of Stay?
The J-2 status of your dependants is automatically extended for any dependents included in your extension request based on your Extension of Stay application. However, extension of Work Authorization for J-2 dependents must be applied for directly to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).