16. What duties must I fulfill to remain in good M-1 status?
To remain in good M-1 status, you must:
- Pass your course work every semester
- Pay tuition fees on time
- Maintain an international address to which you intend to depart upon completion of studies
- Always maintain the same educational objectives
17. Can I change status from M-1 following the completion of my course of study?
Yes, you may apply for change of status to most other categories of nonimmigrant visas. However, you may not change to F status or H-1B status if the job offered is based on skills gained through studies while in M status.
18. Can I bring my dependents on M-1 visa?
Yes, your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may come with you to the U.S. on M-2 nonimmigrant visa.
19. What is the procedure to bring my dependants on M-2 visa?
To bring your dependants on M-2 visa, your dependants must:
- Visit the U.S. embassy or consulate with you when you apply for your M-1 student visa
- Be prepared to prove their relationship with you
- Provide the U.S. embassy staff with a copy of your Form I-20I-D issued to them and proof of their relationship with you if they plan to follow you at a later date
20. Can my dependants work on M-2 visa?
No, your spouse and children may not accept employment on derivative M-2 status.