Applying For TN Visa
A. Procedure For Canadian Citizens
Canadian citizens are not required to obtain a visa, but instead receive TN status with the USCIS at a “Class A” port of entry or at U.S. Preflight Inspection Stations. To receive TN status, you may have to submit the following documents at the port of entry:
- Proof that you are a Canadian citizen – Original passport or birth certificate
- A letter from the prospective U.S. – based employer offering you a job in the U.S., which is included on the professional job series (NAFTA list)
- College degrees and employment records establishing your qualification for the prospective job
- Proof of a license to practice the profession if one is required in the state of intended employment
B. Procedure For Mexican Citizens
Mexican citizens may apply at consular sections around the world for a NAFTA professional (TN) visa. To receive a TN visa, you must submit the following forms and documentation:
- Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application completed and signed
- Form DS-157, Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application by male applicants between 16-45 years of age
- A passport valid for travel to the U.S. and with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S.
- One 2×2 photograph. (A photograph is not required if you are applying in Mexico.)
- Your employer in the U.S. must provide a Letter of Employment in the U.S. The letter must indicate that the position in question in the U.S. requires the employment of a person in a professional capacity, consistent with the NAFTA
Duration of Stay
You may be admitted to the U.S. in TN status up to a maximum initial period of stay for three years (initially it was one year). You may receive extensions of stay in increments of up to three years with no limit on the total period of stay. However, you must be able to prove that you have a foreign residence and you have no intentions of abandoning it.
Extensions of Stay
A Canadian or Mexican citizen admitted as a NAFTA Professional TN nonimmigrant may receive extensions of stay in increments of up to three years.
- If you are in the U.S., your employer may file Form I-129 Petition for Non-immigrant Worker with the USCIS Nebraska Service Center; or
- If you are applying at a port-of-entry, use the same application and documentation procedures as required for the initial entry
Spouse and Children
Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join you in the U.S. for the duration of your stay can apply for TD visas.
We thoroughly review your circumstances, select appropriate visa and submit an accurate application to the necessary Government Agencies.
What VisaPro Customers Are Saying
Knowledgeable, fast, courteous, efficient are all words that describe the services I received from VisaPro. They were very helpful in all phases of the H-1B visa process and they got it right the first time. I have tried other Visa services, but VisaPro is the best by far. VisaPro is the only way to go!"