J2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

26. Do I have a grace period to legally stay in the U.S. even after my J status expires?

The J status grace period is for 30 days. During this grace period you may legally stay in the U.S. after the expiry of your J status.

27. My J status has expired and I'm in the middle of my 30-day grace period of staying in the U.S. Is it possible for me to apply for a change of status to another nonimmigrant status?

Yes, you may apply for change of status to another nonimmigrant status. However, contact us regarding the current USCIS policy.

Check My Eligibility

28. How long should I wait before applying for work permission on J-2 visa?

It is advisable to wait at least two to three months after arriving into the U.S. to apply for permission to work. This is because you have recently certified to a U.S. consul that the principal J-1 applicant has sufficient funds to support all family members. It is not usually expected that there will be a sudden change in financial resources immediately after arrival.

29. Is my income on J-2 status subject to any taxes?

Income earned by J-2 dependents is subject to Federal, State, local, and Social Security taxes.

30. For further inquiries about J visa program whom do I contact?

Further questions about:

  1. J visa program, Form DS-2019, and the ability to change programs or extend within a program should be made to the Department of State, Education and Cultural Affairs Bureau, Exchange Visitor and Program Designation Staff, Washington D.C.
  2. Qualifications for various classifications and conditions and limitations on employment should be made by the prospective employer or agent in the U.S. to the nearest USCIS office
  3. Visa application procedures at the American Consulate abroad should be made to that consular office by the applicant