K3 Spouse Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

16. Do I need to submit Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, along with my K-3 visa application?

No, you do not need to submit Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, until you file for adjustment of status to legal permanent resident in the U.S. The Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, for nonimmigrant visas may be deemed appropriate by the consular officer.

17. Can a consular officer approve Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance?

No, the Form I-129F , Petition for Alien Fiance, must be approved by the USCIS in the U.S. Neither consular officers nor USCIS offices overseas are delegated the authority to approve these petitions.

Check My Eligibility

18. Can I apply for K-3 status in the U.S. once the I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance is approved?

No, applicants in the U.S. may not change to K-3 status. K-3 status must be obtained at an American Consulate abroad.

19. Why is Form I-129F, Fiance Petition, also used for K-3 spouse visa?

To avoid any delay in the implementation of the K3 visa process the USCIS decided to use the I-129F, Fiance Petition, to process K-3 visa applications.

20. How long is the I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance valid?

The Form I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of USCIS approval. If the petition has expired, the consular officer may revalidate the petition for an additional four months.