E3 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

26. Can I change my employer while on an E-3 visa?

Yes. But because your E-3 visa status is linked to a specific employer, a change of employer would require a new E-3 visa application. This can be done either inside the US or at a US Consulate overseas. Once you are in E-3 visa status any new application does not count against the E-3 visa quota.

27. Does the spouse of an E-3 visa holder need to be an Australian Citizen?

No. Your spouse and children do not need to be Australian citizens or nationals. It is only the principal applicant (i.e., E-3 visa holder) who must meet the Australian citizenship requirement.

Check My Eligibility

28. How do I demonstrate that I qualify for an E-3D (dependent) visa?

You must demonstrate to the consular officer that the established relationship exists. Usually this can be accomplished with a marriage or birth certificate. You must also show the principle applicant is the recipient of an E-3 visa.

29. Can my dependent spouse work on E-3 visa?

E-3 spouses are entitled to work in the U.S. and may apply for an Employment Authorization Document (Form I-765) through USCIS. The spouse of a qualified E nonimmigrant may, upon admission to the U.S., apply with the Department of Homeland Security for an employment authorization document, which an employer could use to verify the spouse’s employment eligibility. Such spousal employment may be in a position other than a specialty occupation.

30. If I get an E-3 visa, how long before I start my job can I enter the U.S.?

You can enter the US up to 10 days before you start your job.