Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration Articles
Useful articles on a variety of immigration topics.

> > > >

Article Jump: 

US Work Visas: Which One Should I Apply For?
Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts
There are many types of work permits, each with specific requirements as to type of position, type of employer, duration, etc. One of the most important steps in the visa application process is to determine what category/ies may be the most suitable, considering the nature of the position, your background and goals, and other factors. Given below are some common positions and the appropriate visa categories for those positions.

Chefs and Hospitality Management positions
Chefs and Cooks
Hospitality Management
Medical Doctors
Computer Positions
Marketing Positions
Fashion Models
Athletes and Entertainers
Accountant and Taxation consultants
Agricultural workers
Au pair or Nanny
Hockey Instructor / Football Coach / Ski Instructor
Teacher / Professor / Research Assistant / Scientist
Religious Workers

Marketing Positions

H-1B visa: The USCIS has not issued a precedent decision recognizing marketing as a professional/specialty occupation. However, there are a number of unreported decisions recognizing that marketing and marketers are professional/specialist and qualify for an H-1B visa.

L-1 visa: Multinational companies may transfer marketing executives and managers to the U.S. with L-1A visas. It must be demonstrated that the individual will have managerial responsibility by overseeing tiers of employees or professionals or an essential function.


H-1B visa: In today’s global economy, effective communication is important. Telecommunications, the Internet, and other communications industries are crucial to the economy. Equally important are translators who permit communication using different languages. Technical translators may translate computer programs, technical or scientific publications, and other matters. In a number of unreported cases, the USCIS has recognized that technical translators are professional/specialty occupations when the positions require a degree.


H-1B visa: The USCIS has recognized that most design positions require a bachelor’s degree. While it requires industrial designers, interior designers, graphic designers, and set, lighting and costume designers to hold bachelor’s degrees, it lists no such requirement for floral designers and visual merchandisers. The position of a fashion designer appears to be in a gray area, as the Occupational Handbook reports that either a two-year or a four-year degree would qualify an individual to perform this job. It is important to thoroughly document the degree requirement for design positions, as the USCIS examiners continue to question these cases.

TN visa: Industrial designers, interior designers and graphic designers are listed in the NAFTA Schedule of Professionals. Mexican and Canadian professionals with a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or post-secondary diploma and three years experience may work as designers in the U.S.

Previous  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  Next

Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts

H1B Address Change of Work Locations: When Do You Have To File H1B Amended Petitions?
H1B Visa Cap 2017: Things You Must Know
H1B Visa Lottery 2017: Improving Your Odds of Success
H1B Cap Exempt Employers: How Do You Find Out If You Qualify?
More >>

Do You Know the Consequences of Overstaying a Visa in the US?
Can I Get Married On a Tourist Visa to a US Citizen?
How do I bring my foreign national fiancée / spouse to the U.S. I am a U.S. Citizen?
The K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Interview: 45 Questions You Need to Know
More >>

Article Jump: 

U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!

Immigration Services
  Fast, Easy and Economical Avoid Costly Immigration Errors!
Immigration Guide
 Know Your U.S. Immigration Options
Immigration Law FAQ
 Detailed Answers to Your Immigration Questions
Immigration Articles
  Interesting and Useful Articles on a Variety of Relevant Topics

How can we help you?
Receive latest immigration updates and free legal tips by e-mail. Sign up now!
Legal terms explained in plain English!
Effects of Invalid Puerto Rico Birth Certificates on the Form I-9 Process
Update on Pending FBI Name Checks and Projected Naturalization Processing Times
US: Sarah Palin Silent on Immigration Issues
CBP Reminder: New ESTA Fee to Begin from September 8
DHS Announces 18-Month TPS Extension for Sudan
More News...

Get a detailed, written opinion online in less than 3 business days from a licensed immigration attorney.
Experienced Immigration Attorneys - Consult Online or By Telephone

Alerts & Newsletter
Create and Manage your
e-mail alerts for FREE.