Reentry Permit

Learn About Green Card Reentry Permit Requirements And Eligibility


A re-entry permit allows permanent residents and conditional permanent residents to apply for admission to the U.S. without having to obtain a returning resident visa from an American Consulate.

VisaPro’s experienced immigration attorneys will prepare and file all the required documents for lawful permanent residents planning to leave the U.S. for more than a year, applying for a Reentry Permit.

Check My Eligibility

Reentry Permit Eligibility – It Is Suitable For:

  • Lawful permanent residents or conditional permanent residents who wish to remain outside the United States for more than one year
  • Lawful Permanent Residents who want to travel outside the United States, but cannot get a passport from their country of nationality

Reentry Permit Benefits

  1. You do not have to obtain a visa from an American Consulate for returning to the U.S. after traveling abroad
  2. You can remain outside the U.S. for the validity of the re-entry permit

Difference Between Advance Parole And Reentry Permit

  1. Advance parole document is issued to foreign nationals who are not yet lawful permanent residents, while the re-entry permit is issued to lawful permanent residents.
  2. Advance parole is valid for one year, while the re-entry permit is valid for two years from the date of issue.

Reentry Permit Requirements

You should apply for a re-entry permit if you are:

  1. A legal permanent resident and you wish to remain outside the US for more than one year
  2. A legal permanent resident who cannot get a national passport from your country of nationality (some countries accept a re-entry permit in lieu of a passport)

Note: You do not need a re-entry permit if you are leaving the country for less than one year. However, if you leave the country for more than one year, you will break the period of continuous residence that is required to become a citizen even if you get a re-entry permit.

Reentry Permit Notes

  • U.S. permanent residents may apply for Citizenship if they have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years.
    Note: A spouse who has been a permanent resident for 3 years, who is currently married to a U.S. citizen, and has been married to the same U.S. citizen for the past 3 years, may apply for citizenship.

Reentry Permit Fees

Filing Fee – Regular $630
VisaPro Processing Time1 business day

What VisaPro Customers Are Saying

[VisaPro legal team] was incredibly knowledgable and extremely helpful throughout the process. We were exceptionally impressed with how they have combined the great personal and communication skills they bring and also technology with a highly intuitive website which guides you and keeps you updated throughout the process……..This is a true testimonial, I would highly recommend VisaPro to anyone looking for guidance and success in this area."

Get a Free Visa Assessment

Trust Symbol