Advance Parole

Learn About Advance Parole Requirements And Eligibility


Advance Parole is permission for certain foreign nationals, who do not have a valid immigrant visa, to reenter the U.S. after traveling abroad.

Note: If you do not apply for Advance Parole before leaving the U.S., the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) considers you to have abandoned your adjustment of status application, and may not permit you to return to the U.S.

VisaPro’s experienced immigration attorneys will prepare and file all the required documents for foreign nationals with a valid nonimmigrant visa or other qualify status applying for an Advance Parole.

Check My Eligibility

Advance Parole Eligibility – It Is Suitable For:

  • Foreign nationals with a pending adjustment of status applications to be able to return to the U.S. after traveling abroad for business or personal reasons
  • Foreign nationals who have been granted immigration benefits under the Family Unity Program, to be able to return to the U.S. after traveling abroad
  • Foreign nationals who have applied for Asylum status to be able to return to the U.S. after traveling abroad
    Note: It is recommend that asylum applicants do not travel to the country from which they are seeking asylum
  • Foreign nationals with Temporary Protected Status to be able to return to the U.S. after traveling abroad

Advance Parole Benefits

  1. You do not have to obtain a visa from an American Consulate for returning to the U.S. after traveling abroad

Differences between USCIS Advance Parole And Reentry Permit

  1. Advance parole document is issued to foreign nationals who are not yet lawful permanent residents, while the reentry permit is issued to lawful permanent residents
  2. Advance Parole may be valid for up to one year, while the reentry permit is valid for two years from the date of issue

Advance Parole Requirements

A. Who May Apply For Advance Parole?

You may apply for advance parole if you currently reside in the U.S. and have a personal or bona fide reason to travel temporarily abroad and have:

  1. An application for adjustment of status pending
  2. Been granted benefits under the Family Unity Program
  3. Been granted temporary protected status
  4. An asylum application pending

Note: You do not require an advance parole if you have applied for adjustment of status and are maintaining H1 status (temporary workers in specialty occupations) or L1 status (intra-company transferees), or are a dependent in H4 or L2 status.

B. Persons Ineligible For Advance Parole

You are not eligible for Advance Parole if you are:

  1. In the U.S. without a valid immigration status
  2. A beneficiary of a private bill
  3. Under removal proceedings
  4. Currently in a valid nonimmigrant status
  5. Subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement due to having held J1 status

Advance Parole Notes

  • U.S. permanent residents may apply for Citizenship if they have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years.
    Note: A spouse who has been a permanent resident for 3 years, who is currently married to a U.S. citizen, and has been married to the same U.S. citizen for the past 3 years, may apply for citizenship.

Advance Parole Fees

Filing Fee – Regular $630
VisaPro Processing Time1 business day

What VisaPro Customers Are Saying

[VisaPro legal team] was incredibly knowledgable and extremely helpful throughout the process. We were exceptionally impressed with how they have combined the great personal and communication skills they bring and also technology with a highly intuitive website which guides you and keeps you updated throughout the process……..This is a true testimonial, I would highly recommend VisaPro to anyone looking for guidance and success in this area."

Get a Free Visa Assessment

Trust Symbol