Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration Articles
Useful articles on a variety of immigration topics.

> > > >

Article Jump: 

US Work Visas: Which One Should I Apply For?
Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts
There are many types of work permits, each with specific requirements as to type of position, type of employer, duration, etc. One of the most important steps in the visa application process is to determine what category/ies may be the most suitable, considering the nature of the position, your background and goals, and other factors. Given below are some common positions and the appropriate visa categories for those positions.

Chefs and Hospitality Management positions
Chefs and Cooks
Hospitality Management
Medical Doctors
Computer Positions
Marketing Positions
Fashion Models
Athletes and Entertainers
Accountant and Taxation consultants
Agricultural workers
Au pair or Nanny
Hockey Instructor / Football Coach / Ski Instructor
Teacher / Professor / Research Assistant / Scientist
Religious Workers

Chemists (this category is not limited just to organic chemistry – it covers all branches of chemistry)

H-1B visa: The USCIS has recognized that organic and other physical chemists may be classified as H-1B professionals.

L-1 visa: Multinational companies may transfer their foreign national executives or managers on L-1A visa to manage a subsidiary or a major function or division of a subsidiary. Professionals with specialized knowledge such as, company products, research methods and marketing techniques may be transferred under the L-1B specialized knowledge category.

O-1 visa: An extraordinary Chemist who is developing new drug technology and has received major prizes or awards or other recognition for outstanding achievements and with a job offer from a U.S. company may work in the U.S. on O-1 visa.

TN visa: Canadian and Mexican chemists with Baccalaureate or Licenciatura degree may work in the U.S. on a TN visa.


H-1B visa: Since ‘profession’ as defined in the Immigration and Nationality Act, contemplates knowledge or learning — not merely skill — of an advanced type in a given field gained by a prolonged course of specialized instruction and study of at least baccalaureate level, which is a realistic prerequisite to entry into the particular field of endeavor, and since a financial economist is a member of the professions within the meaning of that section, a foreign national economist may be eligible for an H-1B visa.

TN visa: Canadian and Mexican economists with Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree may work in the U.S. on a TN visa.

O-1 visa: Foreign national economists who have received major prizes or awards or other recognition for outstanding achievements and are considered people with extraordinary ability and have achieved a level of expertise indicating that they are among the few individuals who have risen to the very top of the field of endeavor may work in the U.S. with an O-1 visa.

Hockey Instructor / Football Coach / Ski Instructor

H-2B visa: U.S. employers may hire foreign workers to come to the U.S. and perform temporary one-time, seasonal, peak load or intermittent work. Ski, Football and Hockey Instructor positions fall under the recurring seasonal job category and qualify for the H-2B visa.

O-1 visa: The USCIS has approved O-1 petitions for professionals like NBA players and Speed Skating Coaches as they are considered people with extraordinary ability and have achieved a level of expertise indicating that they are among the few individuals who have risen to the very top of the field of endeavor.


H-1B visa: The USCIS recognizes legal professions as specialty occupations and U.S. employers may file H-1B petitions for foreign nationals to work in the U.S.

TN visa: Canadian and Mexican legal professionals (including Notaries in the province of Quebec) with L.L.B., J.D., L.L.L., B.C.L., or Licenciatura degree (five years); or membership in a state/provincial bar may work in the U.S. on a TN visa.

Teacher / Professor / Research Assistant / Scientist

H-1B visa: A foreign national may enter the U.S. on an H-1B visa to work as a university professor, school teacher, research assistant or scientist.

J visa: A foreign national scholar, trainee, teacher, professor, research assistant, specialist or scientist coming temporarily to the U.S. as a participant in a program designated by the Director of the United States Information Agency, for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, or receiving training may do so with a J-1 visa.

O visa: Foreign national professors, researchers or scientists recognized internationally as outstanding in the academic field may work in the U.S. with an O-1 visa.

TN visa: Canadian and Mexican citizens may work in the U.S. as college, seminary and university teachers, research assistants in a post-secondary educational institution and scientists with a TN visa.

Religious Workers

R-1 visa: The R-1 visa category allows foreign nationals to enter the U.S. in order to continue or develop a religious vocation. It is also very useful in assisting religious organizations in the U.S. that desire the infusion of new energy into their faith through the importation of members from overseas branches, affiliates, or similar entities. The R category allows foreign nationals engaged in a broad range of religious occupations to enter the U.S. to perform services related to their religious calling or vocation and receive direct compensation for their work. Examples include minister, nuns, monks, liturgical workers, religious instructors, religious counselors, cantors, catechists, workers in religious hospitals or religious health care facilities, missionaries, religious translators, or religious broadcasters. The regulations exclude from this group janitors, maintenance workers, clerks, fundraisers, persons involved solely in the solicitation of donations, or similar occupations.

H-1B visa: Certain religious professionals may enter the US in H-1B status to perform their religious duties.


Choosing the right visa category from multiple options may often require the services of an expert. VisaPro attorneys have extensive experience in handling work visa cases under varying circumstances and situations. Please contact VisaPro to help you understand which visa category is most suitable for you and your requirement.

Previous  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6

Print This Article
Discuss This Topic
Create News Alerts

H1B Address Change of Work Locations: When Do You Have To File H1B Amended Petitions?
H1B Visa Cap 2017: Things You Must Know
H1B Visa Lottery 2017: Improving Your Odds of Success
H1B Cap Exempt Employers: How Do You Find Out If You Qualify?
More >>

Do You Know the Consequences of Overstaying a Visa in the US?
Can I Get Married On a Tourist Visa to a US Citizen?
How do I bring my foreign national fiancée / spouse to the U.S. I am a U.S. Citizen?
The K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Interview: 45 Questions You Need to Know
More >>

Article Jump: 

U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!

Immigration Services
  Fast, Easy and Economical Avoid Costly Immigration Errors!
Immigration Guide
 Know Your U.S. Immigration Options
Immigration Law FAQ
 Detailed Answers to Your Immigration Questions
Immigration Articles
  Interesting and Useful Articles on a Variety of Relevant Topics

How can we help you?
Receive latest immigration updates and free legal tips by e-mail. Sign up now!
Legal terms explained in plain English!
Effects of Invalid Puerto Rico Birth Certificates on the Form I-9 Process
Update on Pending FBI Name Checks and Projected Naturalization Processing Times
US: Sarah Palin Silent on Immigration Issues
CBP Reminder: New ESTA Fee to Begin from September 8
DHS Announces 18-Month TPS Extension for Sudan
More News...

Get a detailed, written opinion online in less than 3 business days from a licensed immigration attorney.
Experienced Immigration Attorneys - Consult Online or By Telephone

Alerts & Newsletter
Create and Manage your
e-mail alerts for FREE.