Call Us Today: 202-787-1944

Immigration Articles
Useful articles on a variety of immigration topics.

Home  >  Immigration Articles  >  Articles Archive  >  Fiance(e) and Spouse Visas

K-1 Fiance(e) Visa: An Overview
The K-1 visa, popularly known as the Fiancé(e) visa, permits a foreign-Citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. Citizen to travel to the United States and marry the U.S. Citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days of arrival and then apply for permanent residency through Adjustment of Status. The K-1 visa is specifically intended for situations where the foreign-Citizen fiancé(e) is overseas, wants to marry the U.S. Citizen in the U.S. and then wants to remain in the U.S. to apply for legal permanent residency. While technically the K-1 visa classification is a nonimmigrant visa classification, the foreign-Citizen fiancé(e) is required to meet some of the requirements of an immigrant visa before a K-1 visa can be issued to him or her. We present in this article an introduction to the K-1 fiance(e) visa and an overview of the fiance(e) visa requirements and process along with a few important concepts that are related to the K-1 visa.
Adjustment of Status for the K-1 Fiancé(e): What You Need to Know?
In our previous article, we learnt how we helped Xia Chang successfully pass her K-1 fiancé(e) visa interview, we are delighted to help Xia and Jacob again, with Xia's adjustment of status process. This article explains all that Xia and many other foreign nationals like her NEED to know before filing the application for adjustment of status. Filing incorrect forms and mailing insufficient documents could do more harm than just denial. Therefore, read out what you need to know about adjusting your status if you have entered on K-1 fiancé(e) visa.
The K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Interview: 45 Questions You Need to Know
The K-1 fiancé(e) visa interview is one of the primary sources of stress and anxiety for K-1 visa applicants. Being unaware of the interview process and not being prepared for the possible questions that may be asked only makes the stress and anxiety worse. Our article is designed to help those who are preparing for the K-1 visa interview get a better idea of what types of questions to expect. Read this article to find out how we helped Xia to successfully pass her K-1 fiancé(e)visa interview.
Fiancée Visa Processing in East Asian Countries
Many Consular Posts implement and follow varied visa application procedures and policies depending on the local conditions and requirements. In this article we attempt to cover K-1 visa processing procedures followed by Consular Posts in East Asian countries like China, Korea, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. The information below will help foreign national fiancés from these countries be better prepared for the K-1 visa interview.
Financial Affidavit of Support: I-134 or I-864?
The Affidavit of Support is a legal document required for the petitioning sponsor for many family-based and some employment based immigrants to show the intending immigrant will have adequate means of support, when planning to immigrate to the U.S. However, it has often been observed that petitioners and visa applicants often get confused about which Affidavit of Support they need to complete and submit – Form I-134 or Form I-864. This article will discuss and compare the two Affidavits of Support – Forms I-134 and I-864, and when each should be used.
Can I Get Married On a Tourist Visa to a US Citizen?
“Can one get married on a tourist visa?” is a million-dollar question as it disturbs many people especially those who have marriage plans in the US but have no time to file for K-1 Fiancé visa and are certainly left with the only option of coming to the US on a tourist visa and getting married. Though, there is nowhere written in the US immigration laws that one cannot get married on a tourist visa however, the USCIS has very strict rules for those who come to the US on tourist visa with the sole intention of getting married. In this article, we will discuss all the pros and cons of getting married to a US citizen on a tourist visa.
K-1 Fiance Visa Processing at U.S. Consulate in Vancouver, Canada
In this article, we discuss the consular processing of fiancée visa in the U.S. Consulate at Vancouver, Canada. The Consulate in Vancouver processes fiancé (e) cases for citizens of Canada, or aliens who are permanent residents. Individuals in Canada on student and/or employment authorization are considered on a casebycase basis.
K1 Adjustment of Status After Divorce: Is it Possible?
An important immigration decision was just issued by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which held that aliens who entered the United States on K visa status, but who subsequently obtain a divorce prior to obtaining permanent resident status are entitled to adjust their K visa status to permanent residency. Thus, if you enter into a bona fide marriage, but unfortunately the US citizen spouse dies, or the marriage ends in divorce before the USCIS makes a decision on the application for adjustment of status, don’t panic. The 9th Circuit's holdings in Freeman vs. Gonzalez and Choin vs. Mukasey may save you from deportation and allow you to adjust your K visa status to permanent resident. The government has long refused to grant adjustment of status for K visa recipients whose good faith marriage ended in divorce prior to the application’s adjudication.
Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence of Foreign National Spouse
When a foreign national marries a US citizen they are allowed to apply for permanent resident status in the US but if the marriage is less than two years old, the foreign-born spouse will be given ‘Conditional Residency’. Conditional residence is given for two years. The statute requires that the parties to the marriage submit a joint petition, form I-751; Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence within the 90-day period before the card expires. If you fail to timely file the form I-751 within the 90-day period before your second anniversary, your conditional resident status will automatically be terminated, and the USCIS will order that removal proceedings be started against you. Thus, removal of the conditions on your Permanent Residence status should not be assumed to be an easy process. All you need is proper care and timely filing. Once your petition is approved, you will be granted a 10-year permanent resident card, which is certainly worth your efforts.
Fiancée visa processing in Poland
The visa application processes and policies followed by Consular Offices vary according to the local requirement. In this article we discuss the K1 consular processing in Warsaw, Poland.

1  |  2  |  Next

U.S. Immigration Attorney - Consult Now!

Immigration Services
  Fast, Easy and Economical Avoid Costly Immigration Errors!
Immigration Guide
 Know Your U.S. Immigration Options
Immigration Law FAQ
 Detailed Answers to Your Immigration Questions
Immigration Articles
  Interesting and Useful Articles on a Variety of Relevant Topics

US Work Visas: Which One Should I Apply For?
Do You Know the Consequences of Overstaying a Visa in the US?
Can I Get Married On a Tourist Visa to a US Citizen?
How do I bring my foreign national fiancée / spouse to the U.S. I am a U.S. Citizen?
The K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Interview: 45 Questions You Need to Know

Alerts & Newsletter
Create and Manage your
e-mail alerts for FREE.