FORM I-539

Application To Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status


This form is used by some nonimmigrant to request extensions of stay or changes from one nonimmigrant category to another nonimmigrant category.It is used by F and M nonimmigrant’s seeking reinstatement of status. It is also used by K-3 and K-4 nonimmigrant’s to request extensions of stay and by persons seeking V nonimmigrant status while in the United States or extension of stay as a V nonimmigrant.

Check My Eligibility


Filing Fee

(Applicants for V nonimmigrant status only, please note a separate charge for fingerprinting may also be required when the applicant is present in the United States.)

Edition Date

(Starting 02/21/17. USCIS will only accept the 12/23/16 edition.)

Get A Free Visa Assessment
From An Experienced Immigration Attorney

Where To File I-539

In most instances, you should mail this form to the Service Center having jurisdiction over where you live in the United States.

If you are filing for reinstatement as an F-1 or M-1 student, submit this application at the USCIS District or Sub-Office having jurisdiction over the place where you live.

If you are an E dependent filing for an extension of stay and you live in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Vermont, Virginia or West Virginia, mail your application to the Texas Service Center. If you do not live in one of these states, mail your application to the California Service Center.

If you are a TD filing for an extension of stay or requesting a change to nonimmigrant TD status, mail your application to the Nebraska Service Center.

If you are filing as a V applicant, follow the instructions on Form I-539 Supplement A, Filing Instructions for V Nonimmigrant’s.

Who can use USCIS ELIS?

Certain applicants can electronically file the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.

An M-1 student may not change status to an F-1 student

If you want toAnd youThenExceptions
Extend statusare a B-1, B-2, F-1, M-1 or M-2you can use USCIS ELIS

Individuals in the F-1 classification who received a date-specific visa that requires completion of a given course of study within a specific time can extend status in USCIS ELIS.

Other F-1s are admitted for duration of status and should contact their designated school official to extend status.

Change statuswant to become a B-1, B-2, F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, M-1 or M-2An M-1 student may not change status to an F-1 student
Reinstate statuswere a F-1 or M-1The spouse or child of an F-1 or M-1 student may be included in the principal’s benefit request.

I-539 Special Instructions

Special Instructions for Certain Nonimmigrants:

Nonimmigrant TypeAdditional Instructions
Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Residents
B Nonimmigrant ExtensionForm M-752, Helpful Filing Tips for Form I-539
B1 or B2 Nonimmigrant’sSpecial Instructions for B-1/B-2 Visitors Who Want to Enroll in School
K-3/4 Nonimmigrant’s
V Nonimmigrant’sInstructions for Form I-539 Supplement A
Filing TypeFiling FeeBiometric Services Fee
V Nonimmigrant’s$290$85
CNMI initial grant of status$290$85
A1, A2, G1, G2, G3, G4 extensions$0$0
All other filing types$290$0
Click here to add a comment

What VisaPro Customers Are Saying

The US [B-1] Visa has always been a tough ride, and being denied a few times it makes it even worse. But thanks to Visa pro and their meticulous processing I was granted a Visa. I would like to thank you and all the people involved in making this a success. I would like to recommend Visapro to all those who seek peace of mind and hassle free Visa processing.”

Get a Free Visa Assessment