The M1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for international students who wish to pursue a course of study that is not principally academic in nature at an established vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution such as a post secondary vocational or business school.
VisaPro’s experienced immigration attorneys will prepare and file all the required documents for vocational or non-academic students with an approved I-20 applying for the student M1 visa.
M1 Visa Eligibility – It Is Suitable For:
- Foreign nationals to attend a full course of non-academic study at colleges, universities, or conservatories in the U.S.
- Foreign nationals coming to the U.S. to attend a full vocational course
Working on The M1 Visa
You may be allowed to accept employment only if it is a required part of your practical training and the employment is approved in advance by the office of the USCIS.
M1 Visa Benefits
- You can enter the U.S. as a fulltime vocational student
- You can legally work part-time on campus. You may also work off campus if necessary (with prior approval from the USCIS)
- You can freely travel in and out of the U.S. while on a valid visa
- Your dependents can live with you as long as you maintain your M1 status
- M1 visas are issued quickly
M1 Visa Requirements
To qualify for a student visa, you must prove that:
- You have successfully completed a course of study normally required for enrollment
- You have been accepted for a full course of study by a vocational institution approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The institution must send you a Form I-20M-N, certificate of eligibility for nonimmigrant (M1) student status for vocational students
- You are sufficiently proficient in English to pursue the intended course of study, or the school you intend to attend has made special arrangements to teach you the English language
- You have sufficient funds to cover the first year of study, and access to sufficient funds to cover subsequent years
- You have a permanent residence in your home country, which you do not intend to abandon
- You intend to depart the U.S. upon completion of the course of study. You may establish this by presenting evidence of economic, social and/or family ties in your homeland sufficient to induce you to leave the U.S. upon completion of studies
- Your proposed education in the U.S. would be useful in your homeland, and therefore induce you to leave the U.S. upon completion of studies
M1 Visa Notes
- Students on M1 visa may accept employment in the U.S. as a part of their practical training by obtaining an Employment Authorization Document.
- To change the purpose of your visit while you are in the U.S. on an M1 student visa, you must change your visa status.
M1 Visa Fees
VisaPro Processing Time 2 business days
What VisaPro Customers Are Saying
Our applicant did indeed pass her [J-1] visa interview. She will be arriving in America later this month. DisplayCraft appreciates everything that Visa Pro have done for us. We are extremely satisfied will your efforts and I am confident that DisplayCraft will come back to Visa Pro in the future should we need to obtain a visa for another foreign employee."