J2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

16. Can I extend my stay on J-2 visa?

Yes, you may extend your stay on J-2 visa, however, your extension of stay depends on the principal J-1 visa extension.

Note: Your status depends on the status of principal J-1 visa status. You lose your status once the J-1 loses status.

17. Can I change status while on J-2 visa?

Yes, you may apply for J2 visa change of status, but only if you are not subject to the home residency requirement. If you are changing job, or taking up a job which requires separate status, have your employer file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, at the USCIS Regional Service Center with jurisdiction over your case.

Check My Eligibility

18. Are there any travel restrictions on J-2 visa?

The USCIS does not put any limitations on your travel outside the U.S. You can travel outside the U.S. and re-enter as many times while you are on valid J-2 status.

19. Can I apply for a Green Card while on J-2 visa?

Yes, you may apply for an immigrant status in the U.S. if you qualify for any of the following options and if you are not subject to the 2 year home residency requirment:

  1. Family Based Immigration: If you have close relatives who are U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents, the relatives may file an immigration petition for you as the beneficiary
  2. Employment Based Immigration(Labor Certification): You may find an employer who is willing to file a Labor Cert ificate for you with the DOL
  3. EB-1: You may also file an immigration petition based on the classification of ‘Alien of Extraordinary Ability’ – EB-1(A) or ‘Outstanding Professor/Researcher’ – EB-1(B).
  4. National Interest Waiver: You may also file an immigration petition through a National Interest Waiver (NIW). National Interest Waivers are available to foreign nationals who are seeking work in a profession and who have an advanced degree (or equivalent experience) or can prove themselves as ‘aliens of exceptional ability’.

Note: If you are subject to the home residency requirement you must get a waiver before applying for immigrant status.

20. Are there any restrictions on the education of J-2 children?

A J-2 child who attends school in the U.S. while in derivative status must either depart the U.S. at the conclusion of the principal J-1 applicant’s legal stay, or change status while in the U.S. to F-1.