6. What is the purpose of Re-entry Permit?
A Re-entry Permit allows a permanent resident to apply for admission to the U.S. upon return from abroad during the period of the permit’s validity without the necessity of obtaining a returning resident visa.
7. What is the processing time for a Re-entry Permit?
The Reentry Permit processing time is generally between 8 to 16 months.
8. What is the validity period of Re-entry Permit?
- For lawful permanent residents returning to the US, a Reentry Permit is valid for two years from the date of issuance of the re-entry permit
- For conditional residents returning to the U.S., the re-entry permit is valid for two years from the date of issuance of the re-entry permit or until the date the conditional resident must apply for the removal of conditions, whichever comes first
9. Can I apply for an extension of Re-entry Permit?
No, a Re-entry Permit may not be extended.
10. When should I apply for Re-entry Permit?
You must apply for Re-entry Permit before leaving the U.S. Failure to do so may cause you to lose permission to re-enter the U.S. and lead to the denial of any other applications.