Reentry Permit

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

11. Does Re-entry Permit guarantee me admission into the U.S.?

No, Re-entry Permit does not guarantee you admission into the U.S. Foreign nationals with Re-entry Permit are still subject to the immigration inspections process at the port of entry.

Note: Travel outside of the U.S for more than one year will under most circumstances break the continuous residence requirement for later Naturalization purposes.

12. How can I check the status of my Re-entry Permit application?

You may check status by using VisaPro’s free visa status service.

Check My Eligibility

13. Can I be denied issuance of a Re-entry Permit?

Yes, a Re-entry Permit may not be issued if:

  1. You have already been issued such a document and it is still valid, unless the prior document has been returned to the USCIS, or you can demonstrate that it was lost
  2. A notice was published in the Federal Register that precludes the issuance of such a document for travel to the area where you intend to go

14. How can I appeal a denial of Re-entry Permit?

If your Reentry Permit application is denied, the denial letter will tell you how to appeal.

  1. Generally, you may appeal within 33 days of receiving the denial
  2. Your appeal must be filed on Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal to the Administrative Appeals Unit
  3. The appeal must be filed with the office that made the original decision

Note: After your appeal form and a required fee are processed, the appeal will be referred to the Administrative Appeals Unit (AAU) in Washington, DC.

15. What is the difference between an Advance Parole and a Re-entry Permit?

The differences between Advance Parole and Re-entry Permit are:

  1. Advance Parole is issued to a foreign national who does not have permanent resident status. A Re-entry Permit is issued to a permanent resident of the U.S.
  2. On the appearance, an Advance Parole document is a piece of paper with the foreign national’s photograph whereas a Re-entry Permit looks like a passport
  3. Advance Parole is valid for one year whereas a Re-entry Permit is valid for two years