I Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

11. Can I bring my dependents on I visa?

Yes, you may bring your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 in the same visa category. They can stay as long as you maintain the status on the derivative I visa status.

12. When should I apply for visas for my dependents on I visa?

You can apply for derivative status along with your I visa application. If your dependents apply for visas at a later date, a copy of your I visa must be furnished with the application.

Check My Eligibility

13. Can my dependents work on I visa?

No, your dependents may not work while on the dependent status. They have to apply for appropriate work visa.

14. Can my dependents study on I visa status?

Yes, your dependents do not have to apply for separate student visa. They can study on the same dependent I visa.

Note: Spouses and/or children who do not intend to reside in the U.S. with the principal visa holder, but visit for vacations only, may be eligible to apply for visitor  (B2) visas or if qualified, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

15. Can I extend my stay on I visa?

Extensions of stay, in one year increments, may be granted as long as you continue in the same position or activity for which you were originally granted I status.