I Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

16. Can I apply for change of status while on I visa?

Yes, you may apply for change of status if you are changing the job. You must have your employer file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, at the USCIS Regional Service Center with jurisdiction over your case, if you are trying to change to any other work visa.

17. Are there any travel restrictions on I visa?

No, there are no travel restrictions on I visa. You may plan with your employer and travel as many times as possible while you are on I status.

Check My Eligibility

18. When can I apply for I visa revalidation?

Revalidation of your I visa cannot be performed while you are in the U.S.

19. What additional information is available about I visa?

The following information is helpful:

  1. If you are filming, the film must be of an informational or educational nature. An I visa cannot be used to film material which is used primarily for commercial entertainment or advertising purpose
  2. Journalists and media workers may qualify for the I visa, if your government allows for reciprocal visas to American information media
  3. I visa is company-specific, so you must be working for a particular organization only. If you have held a prior I visa and are applying again at a consulate, it is not unusual for the consulate to ask for tax returns as proof of where you have actually been working
  4. No restrictions are applicable on applying for permanent residence while on the I visa

20. Can I apply for I visa if I am a journalist working for a U.S. media organization outside the U.S.?

Yes, I visas are appropriate for foreign journalists working for an overseas branch office or subsidiary of a U.S. network, newspaper or other media outlet if the journalist is going to the U.S. to report on U.S. events solely for a foreign audience. If you are going to replace or augment American journalists reporting on U.S. events for an American audience, an H or O visa will be required.