L1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

16. Can my L-1 petition be filed outside the U.S.?

No, your L-1 petition has to be filed in the U.S. It cannot be filed at an American Consulate overseas.

17. Can I come to the U.S. on a visitor visa or Visa Waiver while the L-1 petition is being processed?

This is possible but not advisable. Under no account should you risk putting in jeopardy the issue of an L-1 visa by engaging in anything that might be construed as work. This could lead to your being accused of visa-fraud either on entry to the U.S. with a visitor visa/visa-waiver or when you apply for an L-1 visa at the U.S. consulate in your own country.

Check My Eligibility

18. How can I avail of faster green card processing on L-1 status?

L-1 foreign nationals who are managers and executives are eligible for the ‘priority workers’ category. Foreign nationals falling into this category may apply for permanent residency without having to undergo the time consuming labor certification process.

19. What is Advance Parole?

If you are applying for Adjustment of Status to permanent resident, you must receive advance permission to return to the U.S. if you are traveling outside the U.S. This advance permission is called Advance Parole. If you do not apply for Advance Parole before you leave the country, you will abandon your application with the USCIS and you may not be permitted to return to the U.S.

20. Can I travel after applying for Green Card on L-1 status?

Yes, if you are in a valid L-1 status you do not need an Advance Parole if you have applied for a Green Card. However, you must be coming back in to work with the same employer that applied for your L-1. Your spouse and children can also travel and the same rules apply.