Foreign students on F-1 OPT (Optional Practical Training) who currently have a 17-month STEM OPT extension and who qualify to apply for adding 7 months to their STEM OPT period must properly file the Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization on or before August 8, 2016. USCIS will deny applications filed after August 8, 2016.
In order to be eligible to apply for adding 7 months to the 17-month STEM OPT period, the foreign student on F-1 OPT must satisfy the following requirements:
- He or she is currently participating in STEM OPT based on a 17-month extension;
- He or she requests the additional 7-month period by filing a new Form I-765
- before August 8, 2016, and
- within 60 days of the date the designated school official’s enters the recommendation for the 24-month OPT extension into his or her SEVIS record;
- He or she has at least 150 days of valid employment authorization remaining on his or her 17-month STEM OPT period on the date the new Form I-765 is properly filed; and
- The foreign student, the designated school official, and the employer meet all the 24-month STEM OPT extension requirements.