Missed The H-1B Cap? Here Are Some H-1B Visa Alternatives

USCIS has announced that it has completed the data entry for all FY 2019 H-1B cap-subject petitions selected in the H-1B lottery. As of today, if you have not yet received an I-797 Receipt Notice and if the filing fee checks submitted by your employer have not been cashed, it is unlikely that your H-1B cap petition was selected in the lottery this year.

If the H-1B cap-petition filed on your behalf was not selected in the FY 2019 H-1B lottery, a new H-1B cap-petition cannot be filed until April 1, 2019. This would push your H-1B start date to October 1, 2019!

So, are there any alternate U.S. visa options you can pursue to be able to come and work in the U.S.? Below are a few:

  • If you are currently working in the U.S. under F-1 OPT, and are eligible for a STEM OPT extension, don’t delay your OPT extension filing. Secure the STEM OPT so you can continue working in the U.S. until at least the next H-1B cap-filing season.
  • If you are a manager, executive or an employee with specialized knowledge working for an organization outside the U.S. with a related entity in the U.S. (parent, subsidiary, branch or affiliate), you and your employer can explore the L-1 visa to come to the U.S. and work for the related entity in the U.S.
  • If you are a national of Chile or Singapore, the H-1B1 visa category, which is very similar to the H-1B and is available only to Chileans and Singaporeans, could be an appropriate H-1B alternative.
  • If you are a national of Australian, the E-3 visa category, which is very similar to the H-1B and is only available to Australians, could be an appropriate H-1B alternative.
  • If you are a recent graduate or want to come to the U.S. simply to gain experience in your field, the J-1 Trainee or Intern visa may be an option.
  • If you are an “extraordinary” artist, entertainer, athlete, scientist, researcher, educator, or businessperson, the O-1 visa may be right for you.
  • If you want to enter the U.S. to receive training that is generally not available in your country of residence, an H-3 visa may be a suitable option.
  • Applying directly for a Green Card is an option that is often overlooked. With proper planning, it should be possible for many employers and employees to use the Green Card process as an effective H-1B alternative.

VisaPro specializes in developing customized strategies once H-1B Cap is reached. If your H-1B cap petition has not been selected in the FY 2019 H-1B lottery, and you wish to develop customized strategies in your situation, please contact the VisaPro Law Firm today for a FREE H1B Alternatives Consultation. We’ll talk through your priorities and recommend strategies based on our attorneys’ near 100% success rate.

Check My Eligibility

What VisaPro Customers Are Saying

My company tasked me with the job of acquiring an [L-1B Visa] with a strict deadline. Not knowing where to turn, I did some research on the web and found VisaPro. Very quickly I felt the relief of knowing that I found the right company to help me get the job done. They walked me through the process and answered all my questions. They were there every step of the way for me. The process happened exactly as they said it would! I know exactly who to turn to the next time I have immigration need. Thank you VisaPro!"

Get a Free Visa Assessment