1. What is F-2 dependent visa?
The F-2 dependent visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows dependent spouses and children(unmarried, under 21 years old) of F-1 student visa holders to enter into the U.S.
2. What privileges do I enjoy on F2 visa?
On F2 visa, you may:
- Enter the U.S. along with your spouse or join him or her later
- Travel in and out of the U.S. or remain in the U.S. continuously as long as you maintain valid F-2 status
3. How long can I stay in the U.S. on F-2 visa?
You may stay in the U.S. as long as the principal F-1 visa holder maintains valid status. You lose your status once the principal applicant loses F-1 status.
4. Can I work on F-2 visa?
No, you may not take up paid employment while in the U.S. on F-2 visa.
5. Can I study on F-2 visa?
As an F-2 spouse you may not engage in full time study and F-2 child may only engage in full time elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through twelfth grade) study. F-2 spouse or child may engage in a study that is avocational or recreational in nature.
6. How do I apply for F-2 visa?
To apply for F-2 visa, you must submit:
1.Completed Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, for dependents that is issued to the F-2 dependent.
If Applying at a U.S. consulate:
2. Filled in Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application
3. One recent color photograph (37 x 37mm) of each applicant, with the entire face visible. The picture should be taken before a light background and without head covering
4. A passport, valid for travel to the U.S. for at least six months longer than your intended visit
Essential for the successful completion of the project
5. Copy of you marriage certificate in case you are a dependent spouse
6. Copy of birth certificate if you are a dependant child below 21 years of age
7. Evidence of sufficient funds for your support
8. Evidence that you will depart when the student’s education is completed
Note: If you are joining the prospective student later, you will need to submit Form I-20 A-B, endorsed from the school that the F-1 student is attending.
7. Where do I apply for F-2 visa?
On F2 visa, you may:
- If you are in a lawful status in the U.S., submit the change of status application to a USCIS Service Center in the U.S.
- If you are outside the U.S., submit the visa application to the U.S. consular office where you reside
8. What is the processing time for F-2 visa ?
If you are applying for a change of status at a USCIS Service Center the processing time will vary according to case load. check processing time.
If you are applying for a visa at a U.S. Consulate, and your visa is approved passport will be returned to you by courier within a few days of the interview
9. Can I extend my stay while on F-2 visa?
F-1 and F-2 are admitted for ‘duration of stay’. As long as the principal F-1 maintains status as a student the F-2 is not required to seek extension of stay.
10. Can I change status while on F-2 visa?
Yes, you may apply for change of status while on F-2 visa.
However you can not take up the new activity/endeavor until the change of status is approved.
11. Are there any travel restrictions on F2 visas?
No, there are no travel restrictions on F-2 visa. You may travel as many times as possible, provided you maintain valid F status.