K2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is K-2 visa?

The K-2 nonimmigrant visa allows the child(ren) of a K-1 fiancé(e) visa holder to enter into the U.S. and await the availability of an immigrant visa.

2. How do I qualify for K2 visa?

To qualify for K2 visa, you must be:

  1. Less than 21 years old
  2. The unmarried child of a K-1 applicant
  3. Seeking to immigrate to the U.S.
Check My Eligibility

3. What privileges do I enjoy on K-2 visa?

On K-2 visa, you may:

  1. Reside in the U.S. with your family while waiting for the marriage of your K-1 parent
  2. Apply for Employment Authorization, using USCIS Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  3. Study in the U.S.
  4. Apply for permanent residence once your parent and his or her U.S. Citizen fiancee marry.

4. What are the limitations of K-2 visa?

On K-2 visa, you may not:

  1. Change to any other nonimmigrant status
  2. Enter into the U.S. if you have been temporarily barred for previous violation of the U.S. immigration laws

5. How long can children of K1 stay on K-2 visa?

Children of K-1 may stay in the U.S. on K-2 visa for a maximum period of 90 days from the date of entry. If your K-1 parent visa holder and U.S. citizen do not marry within 90 days, you must depart the U.S. within 30 days.