K2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

6. Can I extend my stay on K-2 status?

No, you may not apply for extension of stay on K-2 visa. If the marriage of your K-1 parent and the U.S. citizen does not take place within 90 days of admission you are required to leave the U.S.

7. Can I study on K-2 visa?

Yes, you may study in the U.S. on K-2 visa.

Check My Eligibility

8. Can I work on K-2 visa?

Yes, the USCIS may grant you permission to take up employment in the U.S. on K-2 visa.

To obtain Employment Authorization you will need to file Form I-765, application for employment authorization, with the USCIS Service Center which covers your place of residence in the U.S after your arrival there.

Note: The EAD can only be issued for the validity of the K-2 visa, 90 days. It is currently taking USCIS 90 days or longer to process the I-765

9. What are the documents required for K-2 visa?

The documents required for K-2 visa are:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, completed online, with recent color photograph with a white background. (photo must be electronically uploaded to DS-160)
  3. Copy of your official birth certificate issued by the Registrar of Births
  4. Completed Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, and supporting documents from your sponsor
  5. Complete medical examination report from one of the Embassy’s panel physicians
  6. Bank draft for visa fee

10. Am I required to have my own passport to apply for K-2 visa?

In general, a separate passport is not required if you are below the age of 16. If the Consulate requires you to have a passport, it will be listed on the checklist.