K2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

11. Do I have to attend an interview at the American Consulate to get K-2 visa?

Generally an interview is required at the American Consulate. Some consulates do not require you to attend if you are below the age of 14. Some consulates require you to attend even if you are not going to move to the U.S. with your K-1 parent immediately, but will follow later.

12. Do I have to enter the U.S. on K-2 visa at the same time as my K-1 parent?

No, you may enter the U.S. up to one year after your K-1 parent. But you may not enter the U.S. before your K-1 parent enters.

Check My Eligibility

13. When can I apply for adjustment of status from K-2 status?

You may apply for Adjustment of Status after your K-1 parent visa holder and U.S. citizen are married.

14. How do I file for removal of conditions on K-2 status?

If you were granted achieved permanent resident status at the same time as your K-1 parent, or within 90 days afterwards, then your K-1 parent may file a joint Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence, and include you. This much be filed in the 90 days before the second anniversary of when your permanent residence was granted.

If you achieved permanent resident status more than 90 days after your K-1 parent, you may file your own Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence.

15. When can I apply for U.S. citizenship if I entered the country on K-2 visa?

If you came to the U.S. on a K-2 visa, you may apply for citizenship five years after the approval of Adjustment of Status.

Note: However, depending on your age when your K-1 parent married the U.S. citizen, and your age when he or she becomes a naturalized citizen, you may be granted citizenship automatically.