K4 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

6. Can I extend my stay on K-4 visa?

Yes, you may apply for extension of stay using Form I-539, Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status, 120 days prior to the expiration of your authorized stay. Extensions will be granted in two year intervals.

7. How do I file for extension of stay on K-4 visa?

Extensions for K-4 status must be filed concurrently with your K-3 parents’ status extension application. In addition, your U.S. citizen parent filing for extension of your K-4 status should file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on your behalf.

Check My Eligibility

8. Can my K-4 status be terminated?

Your K-4 status will be automatically terminated 30 days following:

  1. Denial or revocation of the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, filed on your behalf
  2. Denial or revocation of the immigrant visa application filed by you
  3. Denial or revocation of your application for adjustment of status to that of lawful permanent resident
  4. Divorce of your K-3 parent from the U.S. citizen
  5. Your marriage or 21st birthday

Note:The denial of any of these petitions or applications by your K-3 parent also results in the termination of your K-4 status.

9. Can I work on K-4 visa?

Yes, the BCIS may grant you permission to take up employment in the U.S. To obtain Employment Authorization you will need to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with the BCIS Service Center which covers your place of residence in the U.S after your arrival there.

10. Can I study on K-4 visa?

Yes, you may study in the U.S. while awaiting the issuance of an immigrant visa.