L2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

6. How long does the Employment Authorization processing for L-2 status take?

The law mandates that the USCIS shall issue Employment Authorization documents within 90 days. However, at some service centers, the wait currently exceeds 90 days.

7. What should I do if I do not receive an Employment Authorization on L-2 visa within 90 days?

You have the option of submitting a new Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, along with copies of the required supporting documents and the receipt for the original application at the Service Centre closest to you. Based on this, you will receive an employment authorization document which is valid for 240 days while the USCIS processes your two year employment authorization document.

Check My Eligibility

8. How long is the employment authorization valid on L-2 status?

Your employment authorization document is valid for two years and may be renewed as long as you continue to maintain proper L-2 status.

9. Can I be employed in any kind of job on L-2 visa?

Yes, there is no limit on the nature of the authorized employment. The USCIS refers to this as ‘open market’ employment authorization.

10. Will my time in the U.S. as L-2 spouse count against the six years I'm allowed in H-1B temporary professional working status?

No, your time in the U.S. on L-2 visa will not count against the six years the law allows you to work in the U.S. on H-1B visa. The USCIS approves H-1B status for professional workers in up to three year intervals.