M2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is M-2 visa?

The M-2 nonimmigrant visa allows the dependent spouse and children under 21 years old of a qualified M-1 student visa holder to enter the U.S.

2. How do I qualify for M-2 visa?

To qualify for M-2 visa, you must:

  1. Prove your intention to enter the U.S. temporarily
  2. Prove that you are the dependent spouse or child under 21 years of the M-1 applicant
Check My Eligibility

3. What privileges do I enjoy on M-2 visa?

On M-2 visa, you may:

  1. Study in an elementary or secondary school fulltime, if you are an M-2 child
  2. Study in a vocational or recreational school
  3. Travel in and out of the U.S.

4. What are the limitations of M-2 visa?

On M-2 visa, you may not:

  1. Seek admission in a University if you are an M-2 child or spouse
  2. Accept employment

5. How long can I stay in the U.S. on M-2 visa?

You may stay in the U.S. on M-2 visa as long as the principal M-1 applicant is in status. This may be for one year or for the period necessary for the principal M-1 applicant to complete the course of study upto a maximum of 3 years plus 30 days thereafter to depart, whichever is less.

Note: The 30 days to prepare for departure is permitted as long as you maintain status.