M2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

6. Can I apply for extension of stay on M2 visa?

Yes, you may apply for extension of stay on M2 visa.

7. How do I extend my stay on M-2 visa?

You may extend your stay on M-2 visa by submitting Form I-539, Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status, to the USCIS at least 15 (but not more than 60) days before your authorized stay in the U.S. expires.

Check My Eligibility

8. Can I work on M-2 visa?

No, you may not work on M-2 visa.

9. What are the limitations of M-2 visa?

On M-2 visa, you may not:

  1. As M-2 spouse you may not engage in full time study
  2. As M-2 child you may only engage in full time study in an elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through twelfth grade)
  3. Both M-2 spouse and child may engage in study that is vocational or recreational in nature

10. Are there any travel restrictions on M-2 visa?

No, there are no travel restrictions on M-2 visa. You may leave the U.S. and re-enter as long as you have a valid M-2 visa. you must also have a valid endorsed I-20 from the school.