M2 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

11. Can I apply for change of status on M-2 visa?

As M-2 child you must change status prior to your 21st birthday to remain lawfully in the U.S. You may change status to F-1 if you wish to seek admission in a University, or if you qualify, change status to a Work Visa.

12. How can I change to F-1 student status from M-2 status?

When applying for a change of status to F-1, the documents required are:

  1. Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status for Academic and Language Students
  2. Completed Form I-539, Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status
  3. Proof of financial support
  4. Copy of I-94, Arrival-Departure document, (front and back)
  5. Copy of I-94, Arrival-Departure document, (front and back) of parent
  6. Copy of Visa and Passport
  7. Copy of Certificates of Eligibility (Form I-20M-N, Form I-797) for M-2 child and parent
Check My Eligibility

13. How do I apply for M-2 visa?

While applying, the M-2 visa documents required are:

1.Completed Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application. Form DS-160 must be completed online through the Department of state website.

2.Passport valid for travel to the U.S. with a validity date of at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S.

3. Documents establishing:

a.Proof of your relationship with the principal M-1 visa applicant, which could include original marriage certificates, birth certificates, and photographs

b. Status of the principal M-1 applicant in the U.S., which could include documents such as photocopies of passports and U.S. visas, and Form I-20M-N, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant M-1 student status

c. Proof of sufficient funds to support your stay in the U.S., to establish that you are not likely at any time to become a public charge