O3 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is O-3 dependent visa?

The O-3 dependent visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows the spouse and unmarried children below 21 years of O-1 and O-2 visa holders to enter into the U.S. and reside with the family.

2. What are the privileges of O-3 visa?

On O-3 visa, you may:

  1. Reside in the U.S. with your family
  2. Travel outside of the U.S. on short trips and reenter
  3. Engage in part or full time study in the U.S.
Check My Eligibility

3. What are the limitations of O-3 visas?

On O-3 visa, you may not:

  1. Work in the U.S.
  2. Stay in the U.S. for a period longer than the principal O-1 or O-2 visa holder

4. How long can I stay in the U.S. on O-3 dependent visa?

You may stay in the U.S. on O-3 visa for the period of time necessary for the O-1 principal to complete the event or activity, which should not exceed three years initially.

5. Can I study on O-3 visa?

Yes, you may engage in full or part time study on O-3 visa.

6. Can I work on O-3 dependent visa?

No, you may not work on O-3 visa.

7. Are there any travel restrictions on O-3 visa?

No, the Department of State does not impose any restriction on the number of times you may travel in and out of the U.S.

8. What are the documents required to apply for O-3 visa?

You must submit the following documents at the same time as the principal O-1 or O-2 applicant’s visa application and supporting documents are submitted:

  1. Completed nonimmigrant visa application Form DS-160
  2. Original Form I-797 Notice of Approval
  3. Original passport
  4. One Passport style photograph two inches square (50 mm x 50 mm), in color with a plain white or off-white background.

9. Can I apply for change of status from O-3?

Yes, you may change status to other nonimmigrant status for which you are eligible.

10. Can I apply for adjustment of status to legal permanent resident while on O-3 dependent visa?

Yes, legal permanent resident status is available to O-3 dependents of an O-1 foreign national. Like any foreign national, you may acquire permanent residency either through entry into the U.S. on an immigrant visa granted by a U.S. consulate abroad or by adjustment of status in the U.S through the USCIS.