This form is used to classify an orphan, habitually resident in a non-Hague Convention country, who is or will be adopted by a U.S. citizen as an immediate relative of the U.S citizen to allow the child to enter the United States. The petition is filed by the U.S. citizen who is adopting the child.
(Starting 02/21/17. USCIS will only accept the 12/23/16 edition.)
Form I-600 Filing Fee
The filing fee for Form I-600 is $775. There is no fee if you are filing based on an approved Form I-600A filed within the previous 18 months. – A biometric services fee of $85 is required for each adult age 18 or older living in the household where the child will reside unless previous fingerprint clearances are still valid or the individuals are eligible for a one-time, no-fee re-fingerprinting. Residents living abroad are exempt from USCIS biometric services fees. – A petitioner filing multiple petitions for orphans who are siblings must pay one set of petition and biometric services fees, if applicable. – A petitioner filing multiple petitions for orphans who are not siblings, must pay the form filing fees for each additional petition; however, only one set of biometric services fees is due if required.
Where To File I-600
Filing Instructions for Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative.
- The “Where to File” guidance in the Form I-600A and Form I-600 instructions refers the public to this website for filing location guidance. Please use these instructions.
- Only USCIS can adjudicate a Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition, or determine parental suitability and eligibility in a “concurrent” Form I-600 filing that does not contain an underlying valid and approved Form I-600A.
- The Department of State can never accept a Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition, or determine parental suitability or eligibility in a “concurrent” Form I-600 filing that does not contain an underlying Form I-600A approval. But Department of State can accept certain Form I-600 petitions that are based on valid and approved Form I-600A applications in countries where USCIS does not have an office provided that the prospective adoptive parents are, at some point during the adoption process, physically present in the jurisdiction of the US Embassy or consulate designated to act on the petition.
|Petitioners Living in the U.S||File with..|
|Dallas Lockbox Facility:|
|The USCIS overseas office, U.S. Embassy, or consulate designated to act on the petition.|
|Dallas Lockbox Facility:|
The USCIS overseas office with jurisdiction over your place of residence abroad.
|The USCIS overseas office with jurisdiction over your place of residence abroad.|
I-600 Special Instructions
You must submit a Home Study with original signature(s) with your Form I-600 petition if it was not previously submitted with your Form I-600A application.
- A Form I-600A/Form I-600, Supplement 1, Listing of Adult Member of the Household, must be completed and submitted for every adult member of the household age 18 and older who lives in the home of the prospective adoptive parent(s) except for the spouse of the applicant/petitioner. If there are multiple adult members of the household, please submit multiple copies of this page.
- Please see the instructions for Form I-600 for details.
If filing at a USCIS Lockbox facility:
- We recommend reading our Lockbox Filing Tips
- If you want to receive an e-Notification when your Form I-600 has been accepted, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance and clip it to first application in the package.
Taiwan and Ethiopia Adoptions: For information on recent changes to the process, please see the corresponding link at the top-right of this page.
What VisaPro Customers Are Saying
[VisaPro legal team] was incredibly knowledgable and extremely helpful throughout the process. We were exceptionally impressed with how they have combined the great personal and communication skills they bring and also technology with a highly intuitive website which guides you and keeps you updated throughout the process……..This is a true testimonial, I would highly recommend Visapro to anyone looking for guidance and success in this area."