Adjustment of Status Process

Learn About Adjustment of Status Process And Documents Checklist

Applying For Adjustment of Status In US

If you would like to become a lawful permanent resident in the U.S., you must file the following documents needed for Adjustment of Status with the USCIS:

Note: All foreign language documents must be accompanied by full English translations which the translator has certified as complete and correct, and by the translator’s certification that he/she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.

Check My Eligibility

A. USCIS Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Your application must be properly signed and filed with the correct fee. If you are under 14 years of age, your parent or guardian may sign your application.

B. USCIS Form I-485 Supplement A, if additional fee requirements apply to you. Required only if filing under §245(i)

C. USCIS Form G-325A, Biographic Data Sheet, if you are between the ages of 14 and 79

D. USCIS Form I-693 Medical Examination Sheet. This requirement may not apply to you if you are applying based on continuous residence since before 1972, or if you have had a medical check based on a fiancee visa

E. USCIS Form I-864, Affidavit of Support (completed by the sponsor). This is required only for family-based petitions and certain employment-based petitions

F. USCIS Form I-765, Authorization for Employment, if you seek employment while your case is processed

G. Copy of the USCIS Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Document issued upon admission into the U.S.

H. Copy of the approval notice sent by the USCIS, if your immigration petition has been approved

I. Copy of your passport.

J. Copy of the fiancee petition approval notice and a copy of your marriage certificate, if you were admitted into the U.S. as a fiancee of a U.S. citizen and married that citizen within the required 90 days

K. If you are an asylee or refugee, copy of the letter or USCIS Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Document that shows the date you were granted asylum or refugee status

L. If you are a Cuban citizen or native, evidence of your citizenship or nationality

M. If you have been a continuous resident of the U.S. since before January 1, 1972, you must submit evidence showing that you entered the U.S. prior to January 1, 1972 and that you have lived in the U.S. continuously since your entry

N. If your parent became a lawful permanent resident after you were born, you must submit evidence that your parent has been or will be granted permanent residence. You must also submit proof of your relationship with your parent

O. If your spouse became a lawful permanent resident after you were married, you must submit evidence that your spouse has been granted permanent residence. You must also submit a copy of your marriage certificate and proof that any previous marriages entered into by you or your spouse were legally terminated

P. A copy of your foreign birth certificate or other record of your birth that meets the provisions of secondary evidence found in 8 CFR 103.2(b)(2)

Q. Two identical color photographs as per the following specifications:

1. Taken within 30 days of filing the application

2. Showing full face (passport style) and with your head bare (unless you are wearing a headdress as required by a religious order of which you are a member)

3. Has a white background and be no larger than 2 X 2 inches, with the distance from the top of the head to just below the chin about 1 and 1/4 inches

4. Glossy, un-mounted, un-retouched and printed on thin paper

Note: Lightly print your A# (or your name if you have no A#) on the back of each photo, using a pencil.

R. Fingerprints: If you are between the ages of 14 and 75, you must be fingerprinted. After filing the Immigration Adjustment of Status application, the USCIS will notify you the time and location for fingerprinting

S. Police Clearances: Police clearances: If you are filing for Adjustment of Status as a member of a special class described in the USCIS Form I-485 Supplement A, you may need to obtain and submit police clearances, in addition to the required fingerprints, with your application

VisaPro’s Guarantee

We thoroughly review your circumstances, select appropriate visa and submit an accurate application to the necessary Government Agencies.

What VisaPro Customers Are Saying

I would have no hesitation recommending Visapro. They dealt with my case professionally and I appreciated the way they made themselves available over the phone when I needed clarification or to ask a question………. I am very happy I chose them to manage my visa application and grateful for their support right through to successfully acquiring my Green Card.”

Get a Free Visa Assessment

Trust Symbol