Employment Authorization Document

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

6. How do I appeal a denial of my Employment Authorization Document?

If your EAD application is denied, you will receive a letter that will tell you why the application was denied. You will not be allowed to appeal a negative decision to a higher authority. However, you may submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that made the unfavorable decision. By filing these motions, you may ask the office to reexamine or reconsider their decision.

  1. A motion to reopen must state the new facts that are to be provided in the reopened proceeding and must be accompanied by affidavits or other documentary evidence
  2. A motion to reconsider must establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or USCIS policy, and further establish that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made

7. Who may appeal a denial of Employment Authorization application?

Only the person that submitted the original application or petition may file the appeal. The petitioner alone has standing to appeal the denial of a visa petition. The person appealing the decision may be represented by an attorney or representative. If the petitioner is represented, the appeal must be accompanied by a properly executed Form G-28, Notice of Entry or Appearance as Attorney or Representative. The
Form G-28 must be signed by both the attorney or representative and the person who filed the original petition or application.

Check My Eligibility