Extension of Stay

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

11. Who is eligible for Extension of Stay on J-1 visa?

You are eligible to extend your stay on J-1 visa if you:

  1. Are studying full-time at the school mentioned on your Form DS-2019 and making satisfactory academic progress and have adequate funding
  2. The length of the delay was reasonable
  3. Have completed your program of study and wish to participate in an Academic Training Program
  4. Are participating in an authorized Academic Training program and, within the established time limits, need an extension to finish the program

12. How do I apply for Extension of Stay on J-1 visa?

To extend your stay in the U.S. on J-1 visa, you must first obtain a new Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status, from your J-1 Responsible Officer, who will need proof of your eligibility before issuing the Form.

Check My Eligibility

13. How do my dependants on J-2 status apply for Extension of Stay?

The J-2 status of your dependants is automatically extended for any dependents included in your extension request based on your Extension of Stay application. However, extension of Work Authorization for J-2 dependents must be applied for directly to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).