F1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

1. What is F-1 student visa?

The F-1 student visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign students to enter into the U.S. to attend a full course of study at colleges, universities, conservatories, academic high schools (subject to strict regulations) and institutions with language training programs.

2. How do I qualify for F-1 visa?

To qualify for F-1 visa, you must:

  1. Be proficient in English, unless you are coming to the U.S. to participate in an English language training program. In some cases the school may make special arrangements to teach you English
  2. Prove that you have sufficient funds to complete your education
  3. Be coming to attend a full course of study by a school approved by the USCIS
  4. Have Form I-20A-B issued by your school
Check My Eligibility

3. What privileges do I enjoy on F-1 visa?

On F-1 visa, you may:

  1. Come to the U.S. as a full time academic or language student enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certificate
  2. Transfer from one school to another or switch academic programs by notifying the change to the USCIS
  3. Legally work part time on-campus. You may even seek off-campus employment if it is economically necessary or if it involves practical training
  4. Travel in and out of the U.S. or remain in the U.S. until the completion of your studies
  5. Bring your dependents on F-2 visa

4. What are the limitations of F-1 visa?

On F-1 visa, you may:

  1. Work off-campus only with prior USCIS permission
  2. Attend the specific educational institution for which your visa has been approved
  3. Bring your dependents, however, they may not work in the U.S.
  4. Not apply for a U.S. Green Card

5. How long can I stay in the U.S. on F-1 visa?

The Form I-20 indicates the length of time you may stay to finish your course of study. The U.S. government takes a generous position towards students who are enrolled in full time courses in U.S. universities. You are permitted to stay until you finish your studies.