16. Can I bring my dependents on F-1 visa?
Yes, you may bring your spouse or unmarried children under the age 21 on F-2 dependent visa.
17. Can my dependents work on F-2 visa?
No, your dependents may not work on F-2 status. They have to apply for the appropriate work visa.
18. Can my dependents study on F-2 visa?
Yes, your dependents may study on F-2 visa. They do not have to apply for separate study visa.
19. Under what circumstances could I 'fall out of status'?
The F-1 visa regulations require you to ‘maintain status.’ You may fall out of status if you:
- Fail to maintain full-time enrollment (with a few approved exceptions)
- Work illegally, either off-campus without authorization or on-campus more than 20 hours per week during school or more than 40 hours per week when school is not in session
- Fail to request a program extension and continue to study past the degree completion date listed in your Form I-20A-B
- Transfer schools without following the appropriate procedure (getting a new Form I-20A-B and having it processed by an International Student Adviser at the new school)
- Do not attend the school that the USCIS authorized you to attend
20. Can I bring my dependents on F-1 visa?
To apply for reinstatement you must write a letter to the USCIS explaining the reasons why you violated status and why you should be reinstated. Indicate the hardships that will result: should USCIS fail to reinstate you, and/or that your violation occurred because of circumstances beyond your control.