F1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

21. What are the requirements for a transfer to another school?

For transferring to another school, you must:

  1. Be a full-time student, and you intend to be a full-time student at the new school
  2. Should prove that you have the financial resources required for your education
  3. Not change your educational objective

22. Can our school waive the tuition requirement for a deserving F-1 foreign high school student?

No, the law does not allow a foreign student in F-1 status to attend public secondary school without paying tuition. The student must pay the full, unsubsidized per capita (for each student) cost of education in all cases.

Check My Eligibility

23. Do the new provisions affect all foreign students?

No, the provisions only affect students in F-1 status, or applicants for F-1 visas, who plan to attend public schools or publicly funded adult education programs. These provisions do not affect J-1 exchange students, and students whose parents are diplomats, researchers or foreign workers.

24. How do the provisions affect F-1 students in private schools?

Foreign students attending private schools, or in privately funded adult education or language programs, are not subject to the requirements in Section 625. However, if a private school student wishes to transfer to a public school or a publicly funded adult education or language program, he or she will have to comply with Section 625 in order to maintain F-1 status.

25. Can our adult education program continue issuing I-20s if we charge full tuition?

The new law prohibits the issuance of F-1 visas to attend publicly funded adult education programs. The INS interim guidance defines publicly-funded adult education as ‘education, training or English-as-second-language programs operated by, through or for a local public school district, system, agency or authority, regardless of whether such a program charges fees or tuition.’ Programs falling under this definition can no longer accept students in F-1 status, even if tuition is charged.