F1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

26. Can organizations or individuals sponsor an F-1 foreign student to attend public secondary school?

Yes, nothing in the new law precludes an organization or individual from reimbursing the school authority on the student’s behalf, as long as payment does not come from public funds. In addition, previous requirements that a foreign student has sufficient funds to cover education and living expenses while in the U.S. have not changed.

27. What does 'unsubsidized' mean with respect to the cost of providing education?

The unsubsidized cost is the LEA’s total expenditure per student, excluding any fees and charges to the individual student. It includes expenditures from all public revenue sources including local, state and federal funds. All public expenditures would include all operating and capital expenditures (such as for instructional, support and non-instructional services; equipment acquisition; and facilities and construction), from all public revenue sources.

Check My Eligibility

28. Does a K-12 district need to compute a separate per student cost for secondary students?

No, unified school districts may utilize the K-12 per student cost, rather than computing a separate per student cost for secondary students. Alternatively, the LEA may choose to compute cost on a school-by-school basis.

29. What is the per student basis to be used in calculating the unsubsidized per capital cost for F-1 students? Is it fall membership, average daily attendance or average daily membership?

The per student basis used should be the same as that used by the LEA, in accordance with state law or policy, for calculating per student cost or non-resident tuition for students from other school districts.

30. What if my F-1 visa expires while I am in the U.S.?

Your F-1 visa does not determine how long you may stay in the U.S. You need not be concerned about the expiration of your F-1 unless you decide to leave the U.S. for a short visit abroad prior to completing your studies. Before you re-enter the U.S., you will need to make sure you have a valid US student visa. The F-1 visa itself (unlike your F-1 status) is only important at the port of entry to the U.S.