F1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

36. Does the Section 625 of the law affect all foreign students?

No, the law affects only students in F-1 status, or applicants for F-1 visas, who plan to attend public schools or publicly funded adult education. The law does not affect other foreign students, such as children of exchange visitors, diplomats or foreign workers.

37. How does the law affect F-1 students in private schools?

Foreign students who attend private schools or privately funded adult education or language programs are not affected by the law. However, if a private school student wants to transfer to a public school or a publicly funded adult education or language program, he or she must follow the requirements of Section 625 of the law.

Check My Eligibility

38. Can organizations or individuals sponsor an F-1 foreign student to attend public secondary school?

Yes, nothing in the law prevents an organization or individual from paying the tuition costs for the student. However, the payment may not come from public funds. The foreign student must still show that he/she has sufficient funds to cover education and living expenses while in the U.S.

39. What is a B-2 visa with a 'prospective student' annotation?

You may request a ‘B-2 Prospective Student’ visa only if you have been admitted to a university but have not yet received your I-20 and will not receive it before your appointment at the U.S. Consulate. If the Embassy agrees to give you a B-2 Prospective Student visa you must make certain that the words ‘Prospective Student’ are printed on the visa by the consul. If those words are not on the B-2 visa it will be a violation of immigration regulations if you enroll in classes after you arrive in the U.S.

40. Is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) applicable for F-1 visa?

Yes, the SEVIS is applicable to F-1 visa holders. This system monitors the status of persons who enter the U.S. with an F, M or J visa. In order for students or exchange visitors and their dependents to qualify for an F, M or J visa, the school or exchange program in the U.S. must issue a Certificate of Student Status (I-20) or Certificate of Exchange Visitor Status (DS-2019) on a SEVIS-generated form and must register each person on the SEVIS website. Each applicant must submit a SEVIS-generated I-20 or DS-2019 with a unique barcode number and must be listed on the SEVIS website.