56. On behalf of the foreign medical graduates, what are the government agencies who can apply for the waiver?
The following government agencies may apply for waiver:
- Appalachian Regional Commission
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Department of Interior for Indian Reservations
- Individual’s State department of health that participates in the Conrad State 30 program
57. What are the U.S. government agencies who can apply for the waiver on behalf of the J-1 exchange visitors?
The following U.S. government agencies may apply for J-1 waiver:
- Department of Education for teachers/professors
- Department of Health and Human Services for medical researchers, pharmacy research, pediatrics/endocrinology researchers
- U.S. Department of Agriculture for workers in the fields of agricultural economics, food processing, animal science, agronomy, agricultural and comparative pathology fields
- Department of Energy for physicists working in the fields of mineral/metallurgical engineering, nuclear engineering, treatment and disposal of radioactive wastes
- Department of Defense for workers in the fields of computers, economics or electrical engineering
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration for workers in air/space fields
- Department of Interior for environmental specialists and civil engineers
- Department of Transportation for workers in the fields of chemical/civil engineering, aviation
- National Science Foundation for physicists, atmospheric earth scientists, economics specialists, and specialists in science education
- Environmental Protection Agency for environmental engineers and others
58. As a J-1 exchange visitor, how do I get an extension for the 30-day voluntary departure status?
You will need to contact the USCIS for an extension of the 30-day, post-program, voluntary departure status period.
59. Who should pay the processing fee for J-1 visa?
The processing fee for J-1 visa is paid only by the applicant, not the dependent spouse or children.
60. What is the time taken to arrive at a decision on whether a J-1 waiver will be recommended?
The processing times vary depending on the type of application you have submitted.