J1 Visa Process

Learn About J1 Visa Application Process And Documents Required.

Applying For J1 Visa

The first step is to obtain from the sponsoring institution a Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J1) status. Your visa cannot be processed without this form. Your J1 visa application must include the following documents:

  1. DOS Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  2. All pages of the Form DS-2019. The Form DS-2019 is issued only by the sponsoring organization in the U.S.
  3. Your passport which is valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay in the U.S. and with at least one blank page
  4. Two identical color photographs showing full face without head covering against a light background. You may wear a headdress if required by a religious order of which you are a member
  5. Evidence demonstrating sufficient funds to cover all expenses including the tuition fee and living expenses. Such evidence may include detailed bank statements of accounts showing that adequate funds are available for transfer, evidence of scholarships and/or combination of finances which will meet the estimated total expenses, including tuition, of your proposed stay in the U.S.
  6. Evidence demonstrating that you have a residence abroad to which you intend to return at the end of your stay in the U.S. This is generally established by evidence of family, professional, property, employment or other ties and commitments to some country other than the U.S. sufficient to cause the applicant to return there at the conclusion of your stay
  7. Your academic qualifications – such evidence may include complete transcripts of grades and test records for the last four years of school and evidence of TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores
Check My Eligibility

Duration of Stay

When you enter the U.S. on an exchange visitor visa, you are admitted for the duration of your program. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) inspector at the port of entry makes the final decision on how long anyone may stay in the U.S.

Note: You may be eligible to change your status in the U.S. and acquire an appropriate work visa such as H1B or H2B, on completion of your authorized stay without having to return to your home country.

Spouse and Children

Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join you in the U.S. for the duration of your stay can apply for J2 visas.

VisaPro’s Guarantee

We thoroughly review your circumstances, select appropriate visa and submit an accurate application to the necessary Government Agencies.

What VisaPro Customers Are Saying

Our applicant did indeed pass her [J-1] visa interview. She will be arriving in America later this month. DisplayCraft appreciates everything that Visa Pro have done for us. We are extremely satisfied will your efforts and I am confident that DisplayCraft will come back to Visa Pro in the future should we need to obtain a visa for another foreign employee."

Get a Free Visa Assessment

Trust Symbol