J1 Visa

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

6. Can I extend my stay on J-1 visa?

Yes, you may apply for J1 visa extension, which may be granted as long as it is necessary to complete the program. However, extensions for J-1 are not easy because the length of the stay is usually granted for the period considered reasonable for the type of program.

7. What is the process to extend or change my status, or change programs?

The Program Designation State Department Branch in the Bureau of Education, Cultural Exchanges and Academic Programs (ECA) handles J1 visa extension, category changes, and program transfers. You will need to contact them directly if you have further questions about one of these issues. They can be reached at 202-401-9810.

Check My Eligibility

8. Can I study on J-1 visa?

Yes, you may study while on J-1 visa. However, unless you area J-1 student you may not join a full length program like an F-1. You may take up a few credits at a University when they do not harm the primary interest of the visa.

9. How do I apply for J-1 student visa?

To apply for J-1 visa, the documents required are:

  1. Three copies of Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, obtained from the sponsor of the exchange programs
  2. Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended
  3. Financial evidence showing you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. If you are funding the exchange visit out of personal funds, original bank books and the like are the clearest evidence of adequate funds
  4. Completed nonimmigrant visa application Form DS-160 with photo (37x37mm and taken within the last six months) for each person applying
  5. A separate form is needed for children, even if they are included in a parent’s passport. These forms are available online at no charge
  6. Signed passport valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the U.S.

10. Where do I apply for J-1 visa?

You may submit your J-1 visa application to:

  1. A USCIS Service Center in the U.S. as a change of status request if you are in a lawful status in the U.S.
  2. An American Consulate near your place of residence in your home country if you are outside the U.S.